Countdown to Rock Creek...

AdrianM

I'm new here
This will be my first trip to Montana for fishing purposes. Pretty excited. I've been reading all I can on the forums regarding Rock Creek. I have a bunch of small baetis and BWO patterns tied up in size 18-20, larger bushy rubber legged Stimulators in October Caddis colors, and then a whole host of other general attractor style dries and nymphs (pheasant tails, princes, hares ears, pat's rubber legs, parachute adams, elk hair caddis, etc).

Appreciate all the advice on the various posts regarding Rock Creek and Montana in general. I'll post pics later

Countdown is set to 8 days... We've been looking forward to this since January.

Any last minute advice is always appreciated. :)

Vandelay Industries

A division of Kramerica Industries
That’s on the list to buy! Thanks for the suggestion. I presume these fish well in deeper holes with a sink tip of some type?
I've fished then without a sink tip and did well. It depends on the stream section and features, riffles vs deep pools. A sink tip or polyleader would help. They are weighted pretty well. The Merc will set you up. Sparkle minnow is another good one.

Troutnut

I fished Rock Creek for the first time a few weeks ago and had a great time. There was no hatch significant enough to get the fish rising, but I was catching lots of fish on attractor dry+dropper combos.

Interestingly, with one exception, I didn't find many fish in the main bodies of the larger pools. Perhaps they just weren't as vulnerable to my attractor pattern searching tactics, and they would show themselves during a hatch. But I caught the vast majority of my fish in relatively small pockets of prime depth/velocity habitat: not pocket water in rapids behind boulders, but places like little eddies along the bank created by fallen trees, etc. I only fished one morning and evening, so I'm curious if others who know the river can confirm that as a general trend for Rock Creek or if it's just a quirk of when/where I fished.

jasmillo

I might see you on the water. Heading there myself for a couple of days during that timeframe as one of a few rivers I’ll hit on my upcoming trip. April and September are probably my favorite months to fish RC. Well, that is probably true for most of the rivers in the Missoula area....

AdrianM

I'm new here
I might see you on the water. Heading there myself for a couple of days during that timeframe as one of a few rivers I’ll hit on my upcoming trip. April and September are probably my favorite months to fish RC. Well, that is probably true for most of the rivers in the Missoula area....
I'll be there from the 19-23rd. Staying in a cabin managed/owned by Trout Bums. Temperatures will be in the mid to upper 60s with lows in the upper 30s. Temperature is perfect for all day fishing. There will be four of us.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I'll be there from the 19-23rd. Staying in a cabin managed/owned by Trout Bums. Temperatures will be in the mid to upper 60s with lows in the upper 30s. Temperature is perfect for all day fishing. There will be four of us.
One thing you can't predict is the weather here in Montana. It might say it's going to be nice out and the next minute it is raining or even snowing, that late in September.

Plus that late in September and you fish in the shade. You will probably have to wait for the ice to melt on the pools.

AdrianM

I'm new here
One thing you can't predict is the weather here in Montana. It might say it's going to be nice out and the next minute it is raining or even snowing, that late in September.

Plus that late in September and you fish in the shade. You will probably have to wait for the ice to melt on the pools.
Yeah, we are prepared for snow and rain. No big deal, we'll adapt, improvise, overcome (ala Bear Grylls)

This will be my first trip to Montana for fishing purposes. Pretty excited. I've been reading all I can on the forums regarding Rock Creek. I have a bunch of small baetis and BWO patterns tied up in size 18-20, larger bushy rubber legged Stimulators in October Caddis colors, and then a whole host of other general attractor style dries and nymphs (pheasant tails, princes, hares ears, pat's rubber legs, parachute adams, elk hair caddis, etc).

Appreciate all the advice on the various posts regarding Rock Creek and Montana in general. I'll post pics later

Adrian, my own countdown is 9 days to Rock Creek! Bringing my post-college son and my wife. I'll try not to crowd you...LOL

AdrianM

I'm new here
Being an accountant and playing in Excel all the time, I created my own countdown. The smaller slice of the pie was a picture of cubes in an office. This file refreshed as we moved forward in time. It originally started out opposite from what it looks like now. The picture is the unicorn of what we hope to get. A nice bow or brown on a mouse pattern that I tied up (morrish mouse).

1536692982736.png

Vandelay Industries

A division of Kramerica Industries
Being an accountant and playing in Excel all the time, I created my own countdown. The smaller slice of the pie was a picture of cubes in an office. This file refreshed as we moved forward in time. It originally started out opposite from what it looks like now. The picture is the unicorn of what we hope to get. A nice bow or brown on a mouse pattern that I tied up (morrish mouse).

View attachment 177703
Can you share that Excel file? I think a lot of us could use it for upcoming trip motivation. Very cool.

AdrianM

I'm new here
I don't think excel files can be uploaded here. but I'd be more than happy to share. I used this when I was deployed overseas. I changed some of the fields to show time remaining (days to freedom) and time elapsed (sentence served).

Latest posts