Late season tuna anyone?

SilverFly

Having been side-lined all summer with home improvement projects I wasn't able to book any tuna trips until this month. That sucks because these trips take a bunch of coordination and planning (none of which I am particularly good at). So normally I start this process months in advance. As expected, it's been tough to organize crews this late. The usual suspects who would be foaming at the mouth to be on board can't make it. Worse, I just had a guy drop out due to an unfortunate family situation.

The bottom line is we have at least 1, and possibly 2 open seats on a small 4-pack charter out of Garibaldi on Saturday the 22nd. I'm still holding a seat for a buddy that's trying to arrange his escape, but to quote him "it's a long shot" (still pulling for ya!).

A few disclaimers before I get flamed for pimping, promoting, profiteering etc... I'll admit I'm probably breaking few rules here, but let me be clear that I do not "work" for this charter and am a paying client myself. Additionally, I'm not seeing competition conflicts with other charter operations advertising here that are promoting fly trips for tuna. The reason for that is they don't exist. Sure, there are a few operations that will allow fly gear and probably run trips with full fly crews, but that would be an exception to their normal game plan.

By contrast, this is the only (remaining) charter operation in the PNW that actually prefers running fly trips for tuna. So, I feel safe in saying I'm not picking anyone's pocket here. And to be perfectly honest, even if I was getting paid, the hassle wouldn't be worth it for the money. I'm doing this because I love fly fishing for albacore tuna - period. Even if I could afford to rent the entire boat, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun, or effective, since tuna fishing is very much a team effort. Possibly the only thing I enjoy more than feeling a 30 mph grab and run on fly gear is seeing the look on someone's face when it happens to them the first time. And while I can't speak for the charter operator (who, yes, is a good friend) it's pretty clear to me he's not in it (primarily) for profit. That said, running an offshore boat (a really nice, fast, comfortable boat that works well for fly fishing) ain't cheap, so operating it as a charter helps defray much of the cost and gives him something to do in his "retirement". The bottom line here is this is about passion, not profit.

On that note, I am not alone in feeling this fishery is massively under-rated, or at least mis-understood for fly fishing. The recent revelation by @Nick Clayton to hooking his first on the fly says it far better than I can: Nothing compares

Fishing has also been good out of Garibaldi recently. Unlike last year there has been good tuna fishing within normal range of G-town. In fact some of the Ilwaco charters have been running SW towards Garibaldi. Fishing to "jumpers" has been common recently, and while an extreme long shot, there have been exotics caught this year along with numerous reports of spoolings. Including several bluefin tuna up to 65#'s and a 119# Opah just last week. Again, unlikely fly catches but it could happen to us if we're able to do our preferred method of dredging flies deep.

Anyway, my apologies for the soapbox. If anyone is interested, here's an opportunity to give this a shot. Please let me know via PM.

Thanks,

Guy J.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Correction, the Opah (aka "Hawaiian Moonfish") caught on 9/7 out of Ilwaco was only 113#'s:

7bc9b16e9c33e440058e81282c397e41.jpg

SilverFly

Update: My buddy bowed out (sorry Matt :( ) and so far have two saying yes out of 5 responses. Just waiting on go/no go from responses in order received to keep things fair. Now just need to cross fingers/toes and anything else for good weather and hungry tuna!

Thanks all!

SilverFly

Unless someone changes their mind, or my work buddy cant make it, the spots are filled. Sorry it took a Hail Mary post on the main board to do it, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

If anyone is even remotely interested in this, please let me know so next year won't be such a scramble. I'm even open to fishing on other charters (Westport) if Seattle area guys don't want to drive down to Garibaldi. Again, it's not about pimping any particular charter (although I am very fond of this one). It's about getting out there and experiencing the most amazing fishing we have in the region.

Last edited:

grantfurness

For my future reference, what’s the cost for a trip like that. It’d be fun to do next year if I can budget the cash. What’s you friend’s business name?

SilverFly

For my future reference, what’s the cost for a trip like that. It’d be fun to do next year if I can budget the cash. What’s you friend’s business name?
I suppose it's OK to share that here since we're "sponsor less" now, but mods please pull this if it's a no-no.

The charter is Meanwhile Charters. Lots of info on the website including rates. Tuna is spendy but on par, or a bit less than most. The boat is a 30' Grady White Marlin. Fast, comfortable and seaworthy, with good casting room off the bow.

Pretty much a one man show run by Capt Randy. Great guy and fisherman. I met Randy before he began chartering when I was still bumming rides on ifish. One of the few skippers that was OK with me bringing a fairy wand on board (I now bring at least 5). There's also a WFF member that deckhands from time to time. Hoping he can join us on the 22nd.

grantfurness

I suppose it's OK to share that here since we're "sponsor less" now, but mods please pull this if it's a no-no.

The charter is Meanwhile Charters. Lots of info on the website including rates. Tuna is spendy but on par, or a bit less than most. The boat is a 30' Grady White Marlin. Fast, comfortable and seaworthy, with good casting room off the bow.

Pretty much a one man show run by Capt Randy. Great guy and fisherman. I met Randy before he began chartering when I was still bumming rides on ifish. One of the few skippers that was OK with me bringing a fairy wand on board (I now bring at least 5). There's also a WFF member that deckhands from time to time. Hoping he can join us on the 22nd.

Thanks SilverFly. I’m going to keep he name & try to go with him next year.

SilverFly

Thanks SilverFly. I’m going to keep he name & try to go with him next year.
Lemme know if you don't have a full crew and I'll try to make it. He's also open to fly trips for rockfish, lings, and salmon. I tried one day last year for salmon but it was slow even for the bait guys. We finally got two coho on herring. We have caught rockfish on flies in some pretty deep water too.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts