Buying a house in Oregon

Tinker

Geez, I did hear much about being from California, there are nice parts to it just expensive. But teaching allows a lot of time to travel
Nope, you wouldn't have heard a word. They're trying to sell you a house because we all know you Californians have a pocket full of cash from selling a house in southern California. But do learn to drive, please. All the cars with California plates I've ever seen - and not just here in Oregon - are driven by folks who think they're the only species who knows how to drive... and they're wrong.

People do fish those lakes. But with an ocean full of tasty fish, and all the rivers one could possibly want, often full of tasty fish, we don't much bother with lakes if they don't contain a healthy population of kokanee or mackinaw.

Jay Nicholas is a friend of mine and he does know his fly-fishing. He'll answer questions for you if you contact him through his blog. Tell him that the weirdo who fly-fishes in the ocean from a kayak suggested you talk with him.

Nope, you wouldn't have heard a word. They're trying to sell you a house because we all know you Californians have a pocket full of cash from selling a house in southern California. But do learn to drive, please. All the cars with California plates I've ever seen - and not just here in Oregon - are driven by folks who think they're the only species who knows how to drive... and they're wrong.

People do fish those lakes. But with an ocean full of tasty fish, and all the rivers one could possibly want, often full of tasty fish, we don't much bother with lakes if they don't contain a healthy population of kokanee or mackinaw.

Jay Nicholas is a friend of mine and he does know his fly-fishing. He'll answer questions for you if you contact him through his blog. Tell him that the weirdo who fly-fishes in the ocean from a kayak suggested you talk with him.
Well I will say I am not shy about my California heritage I am 4 th generation California and my great grandfather went to the same grade school I did in the 1890’s. But I also have family in bend, sisters, Albany, Newport, I also have some of my players (coach water polo) in depoe Bay, osu and Oregon.

As growing up with sun and the California beaches, my wife and I are looking for green and no fires. I have fished my whole life and fly fished 90% of it. I have spent time in Most of the western states and must all them have bright spots, but that Oregon has the most.

My wife and I both could get teaching jobs and make a 100% move, but due to taking care of parents the move has to be a 20-30% move at this time. We have no kids, we have 2 somewhat well behaved Australian shepherds despite the pics in the cat chewed my fly line thread and my players who are like my kids.

I will contact jay, I don’t find fishing from a kayak crazy as I have done it down here in SoCal, and I am research buying a kayak now. I will say going out in the water up in Oregon to me is a little more daunting then the SoCal water.

What kayak do you fish out of?

Skip Enge

People love that around here.
especially very long time once rural property owners getting taxed out of their "homestead." Locally the county and municipalities never met a developer they didn't like. And to no surprise the largest local developers are corporately out of CA. This is not personal it's general trends across so many once quiet places across this country. One of my daughters lived in several places in CA...leapfrogging to nicer homes using quick turn around profit. Currently they are in a 6000 sq ft house in a community north of Denver using what they made off their last house in Pleasanton, CA...She called it a million dollar shack. Ha!... This is life today.

Last edited:
especially very long time once rural property owners getting taxed out of their "homestead." Locally the county and municipalities never met a developer they didn't like. And to know surprise the largest local developers are corporately out of CA. They is not personal it's general trends across so many once quiet places across this country.
We hvae already seen it down here in california, As prices of houses skyrocket down here we have to move to be able to retire. sadly we have seen farming move out of california, much of my families farming heritage is long gone as their companies have changed and evolved from one trend to another from the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's to no longer being around in todays world. The company my grandfather started is long gone as he is, the sad part is that that company and business is the reason he passed away, my uncle passed away and others did. there may be questions about what the pesticides did to the environment but i can tell you what it did to my family who work with it on a daily basis.

Skip Enge

you were touting Seattle for some reason...I spend time on the Coyle Penninsula annually, quiet beautiful and pleasant, shelly fishy and crabby...which is pleasant...Seattle proper I do not find pleasant anymore...in the 70's I thought it was cool...

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater......Know Gizzler
you were touting Seattle for some reason...I spend time on the Coyle Penninsula annually, quiet beautiful and pleasant, shelly fishy and crabby...which is pleasant...Seattle proper I do not find pleasant anymore...in the 70's I thought it was cool...
Certainly not touting it.
I’ve lived in Seattle for 40+ years and there are some things I’ve really come to dislike especially over the last five years.
That being said, I was born in the Puget Sound region and they’ll bury my old carcass here.
Having spend a lot of time in California, the only place I could see myself living there is in upper reaches of Northern California.
While California has some nice places, they still don’t have Puget Sound.
Maybe I’ll take a 5 minute walk to the beach this afternoon and fish for cutthroat since I already limited out on coho today.....
SF

Last edited:

Skip Enge

I’ve lived in Seattle for 40+ years and there are some things I’ve really come to dislike especially over the last five years.
That being said, I was born in the Puget Sound region and they’ll bury my old carcass.
Having spend a lot of time in California, the only place I could see myself living there is in upper reaches of Northern California.
Maybe I’ll take a 5 minute walk to the beach this afternoon and fish for cutthroat since I already limited out on coho today.....
SF
On this we agree... the inside of the sound is wonderful...I love the area near Indian Island...

That being said, I was born in the Puget Sound region and they’ll bury my old carcass.
SF
The upper reaches of Northern California is a pretty good backyard for a fly flicker, if I do say so myself

Latest posts