OPST on lakes

Hey all,

I have used the OPST single had spey lines swinging for trout and bass on rivers but I was wondering if anyone has used them fishing on lakes? Particularly from shore, looking to do some fishing off of some beaches for trout this winter and was wondering if anyone has used them in this fashion. Probably cant go to deep but maybe worth a try. Thoughts?

Thanks, Cheers

Skip Enge

I hate acronyms... I ocasionally use sink tips, full sinks ...slime lines and weighted flies on DT lines...The deal with having many lines and spools loaded with them is that the change is quick and easy and if stored properly you have them to use for years and years...

I saw a guy fishing with one last year. Looked awesome. He could definitely fish places I couldn’t because he didn’t have to worry about his back cast. I’m not sure I’d fish it all the time, but could be useful to have for tricky situations

skyrise

Got one of those lines this year for tight spots in streams. Paired it up with a light MOW tip and it’s a blast to use. Go for it I’d say.

I have tried it a bit fishing indicators from my sled. With a floating tip it turns over a bobber and 25 feet of leader and two tungsten leeches or chironomids effortlessly. The loops are a major drawback the newish commando smooth could solve that. I’d be interested to try. Easiest casting of the long rig I’ve ever experienced.

I have used them swinging flies and casting dries for bass but anyone have any idea about how long of sink tip I could cast from shore? Using a 10’ 6wt echo ion. Probably use around a 275 grain head I imagine. I need to get down for these trout on the drop offs... thanks for all the help! Might be able to use my 5wt switch for some more length, not sure how much more that would get me though.

I hate acronyms... I ocasionally use sink tips, full sinks ...slime lines and weighted flies on DT lines...The deal with having many lines and spools loaded with them is that the change is quick and easy and if stored properly you have them to use for years and years...
I "HATE" acronyms too. To many years working for the Navy. I usually just turn the off in my head and don't even try to figure them out.

I have a 4 wt switch type rod I built and I loaded it with an Ambush line, kind of the same type of line. I have used it from my pram in a lake. It works but is clunky. I have used it for tossing an indicator with a couple of balanced leeches under it. The biggest issue I have is that I like to fish the flies all the way back to the boat. If you do that ,much of the head is into the rod, so you have to get some line out before you can make your spey type cast. I haven’t tried it from shore but I would feel it would be very doable, it might shine better in that situation actually. I say do it, and let us know how it works for you.

Wayne

Lakes aren’t too bad. I’d get some sort of flotational device if I were you though fishing in a lake. On the river you can walk along or across and spot out deep parts. In a lake it’s much harder. The opst commando head makes it easier as far as casting distance and ability to cast in limited spaces. But ultimately if your going to fly fish a lake I highly highly recommend some sort of flotafional device.

Thanks for the help, I do have boats and pontoons but this was an idea for just hitting the lake for a couple hours after work. I will post again after some attempts with different setups. Thanks again!

Latest posts