Korkers Boot Repair

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I am terrible on boots. My fav fishery, the south fork Snoqualmie tears boots up, but is so worth it to get away from crowds and into diminutive, dumb wild fish willing to strike my cheap dry flies in the middle of summer.

So I am on my third pair of boot felts. I could not find my size at Sportsmans, Bass Pro. I ended up at Sportsmans Warehouse in Puyallup and they had a large selection for 5 dollars less than I paid at Bass Pro a few years ago.

I found my boa laces had become frayed, not good when wearing expensive waders. So I asked the boot lady if I could purchase Boa laces, she said to go to boa website and they are free under warranty as long as I own the boots. Amazing, it is true. I have a pair of laces ordered up. Free and free shipping, cannot beat that

One of the tabs broke off that holds the removable soles. I took it to my local shoe repair shop and he could do nothing about it. So instead of the silver duct tape from earlier, I purchased black gorilla tape as my fishing buddy says it better than silver duct tape. As a side benefit, it looks better on the black boots.

Not sure how well the gorilla tape job will hold up as it is a sparse job compared to the silver duct tape. Duct tape covered most of rear and sides of the boot and lasted at least 20 days before starting to delaminate.

Finally, I found a nasty burr a few inches up on the heel of the boot with the broken tab. I think it is part of that tab. My shoe repair guy tried to pound it down but was not able to get it completely, so he sewed in a liner to smooth it up. Amazing. He used a 100-year-old singer foot-powered sewing machine to sew through the boot. He did a nice job and charged 32 dollars with tax for a 20 min job, well worth it.

The nice thing about having a work van as a personal vehicle is many of the work items can be used for camping and fishing. Headlamps, extra tools, warm clothes and supplies like duct tape are readily available streamside when failures happen :}

Attachments

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Update:. I use my boots in salt during winter. Boa shipped a pair of new laces to me for free along with a new torks screwdriver. You have to take knob off to replace laces.

Problem is, after 4 seasons of salt use the bolt was completely rusted to the boot. I stripped both torx screwdrivers.

Boa warranty emailed a shipping label earlier this week. They somehow got the rusty dial off and put on new dial and laces. I got the boots back today, less than a week total. No cost at all to me. Plus they added 2 pair of laces, new torx screwdrivers and knob Assemblies.

I am very happy with the service. I would feel confident to buy any product with boa laces.

Sounds like great customer service at Korkers, good to hear !

I've had a couple pairs of Korkers with the boa and had to replace cables on both, really like the boots but not the boa system. Bought the Greenbacks (with laces) and love them, would not go back. Only other problem I've had was one of the toes wore out (where the sole slips in) from barnacles, oyster and clam shells. Still my favorite boots !

I'm on my third set of Korker's. I had the Boa system on the last pair, just not a fan. Could never get the boot comfortably tight and had little ankle support, part of that because of the material on the upper. I had the Devil's Canyon style, just bought the Wraptr and they are really comfortable and I'm back to having regular laces.

Jojo

Trout Fear Me
@Greg Price how long did you own those boots before that happened? And did you have a receipt? The reason i ask is my Orvis boots feel apart early on during my trip earlier this month. This is my second pair of boots and I’ve not owned them THAT long, nor have i ever fished in salt water or even as often as y’all do. I wonder if Orvis would fix them (or replace them) if i contacted them, but i can’t prove when i bought them. 950E92E1-AF8D-4E3A-B932-D0F7C2F9B485.jpeg

@Greg Price how long did you own those boots before that happened? And did you have a receipt? The reason i ask is my Orvis boots feel apart early on during my trip earlier this month. This is my second pair of boots and I’ve not owned them THAT long, nor have i ever fished in salt water or even as often as y’all do. I wonder if Orvis would fix them (or replace them) if i contacted them, but i can’t prove when i bought them. View attachment 179248
Jojo, Orvis has such good customer service I think they would replace them without question. I'd call them and tell em what happened, I'll bet they say send them in and they'll take care of you. I'd at least give it a shot.

Jojo

Trout Fear Me
Oh good. I’ll do that! Thank you Mark. I wasn’t sure if they would require a receipt from me. They really haven’t been worn THAT much!

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
i
@Greg Price how long did you own those boots before that happened? And did you have a receipt? The reason i ask is my Orvis boots feel apart early on during my trip earlier this month. This is my second pair of boots and I’ve not owned them THAT long, nor have i ever fished in salt water or even as often as y’all do. I wonder if Orvis would fix them (or replace them) if i contacted them, but i can’t prove when i bought them. View attachment 179248
Jojo, i have owned those boots at least 3 years, maybe 4. The BOA lace system is warrantied as long as i own the boots, no cost to me at all to replace the failed parts. I would buy any boot with boa due to great customer service.

The Korkers boots have lasted me the longest of any boot I have owned. They are way out of warranty but Korkers is a good company and has worked with me in the past when I destroyed my older pair of Korkers that were out of warranty. I am hell on boots. I spend a lot of time mashing over slick baseball to basketball size rock on the south fork Snoqualmie ever chance I get when daytime highs are in the 80's. I have done this for 20 years and was not uncommon to have boots come completely apart after a few years of abuse. I used to use shoe goo to try to weld the seams back together, and I got pretty good at re-soling the felt.

I do not think your Orvis boots can be resoled by me. it looks like the footbed had degraded to the point that there is not a solid base to glue new felts back on. I bet Orvis will work with you, if not, try Korkers.

Korkers area great boots. I love my Devils Canyon. Lightweight, ball and side of foot stay protected in those big boulders, and they have held together longer than any boot i previously owned.

Plus, Korkers is local, out of Portland. The service rep is a great guy. I met him on a salt beach in the Puget Sound a few years ago.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I'm on my third set of Korker's. I had the Boa system on the last pair, just not a fan. Could never get the boot comfortably tight and had little ankle support, part of that because of the material on the upper. I had the Devil's Canyon style, just bought the Wraptr and they are really comfortable and I'm back to having regular laces.
I found that i had the same issue as my boots aged and the cable freyed. Now that i have new lace it slips much easier and no longer an issue. the way i used to deal with it, especially when i hiked a distance to get to salt water beaches was to re-tighten the boot once i got to my fishing spot.

Latest posts