Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

2018 Fall Streamer Thread

4K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  Ian Horning 
#1 ·
Seems like we could use one. Who's in?

#3 ·
Planning on walking 20 miles a day swim?

New streamer rod being delivered Wednesday. Gotta give it a whirl in the Sierra this coming weekend. Haven’t tied anything new since spring, but gonna go up anyway and use what’s in the box.

Can’t wait to smell the autumn in the mountains.

#28 ·
I haven't gotten into anything so cool, but I got out here in western NC last Friday to fish the leading edge of the rain Michael pushed through. Didn't get a ton of love, but did get jumped by a couple of respectable fish.

Made a run up to Coal Country on Monday for what was supposed to be a couple of days of backyard bluelining in the Mountain Mama. Turned into a single long day (left at 3:30 am, made it home just before midnight) when the late afternoon rain proved more intense than forecast and everything BTFO. The day actually began as nymphing session, but on a couple of occasions, I hooked small trout and watched large, dark shadows track them for a second or two before turning off. Cut a 4X nymph setup back to the thick stuff and tied on a little sumpin' sumpin' in the appropriate color scheme (brown over yellow) and stuck a couple of donkeys. Even found a landowner to snap a the hero shot for one.

#34 ·
Been throwing mostly articulated streamers this fall in the 4-6" range. I know I'd catch more with smaller flies, but I like swinging for the fences.
It payed off. I landed a first for me. A tiger trout! I've fished in several lakes known to have tigers(including one private) and have never landed one. This fall a 22" inch tiger trout crushed a six inch streamer as soon as it hit the water! In the Columbia River!
I've caught two good bows, one 28 inches with an 18 inch girth, a couple days later I landed a 30 inch bow that was a couple pounds lighter.
One stand out fish was an overzealous brookie on the Columbia( I've caught three brookies on the Columbia River this fall) that was fourteen inches and tried to kill a six inch streamer.
I would have had my PB lahontan this fall also, but forgot my net. It came off on my third attempt to tail it. I estimated it at about 34 inches.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.