WTB 6wt beginner saltwater setup

Hi all, deleted my original thread to update the title after some suggestions from users and a little more research.

Looking to get outfitted with a 6wt setup to get started into fishing in the salt for SRCs and coho. Rough budget of around 150-300$ and the reel must be able to be configured for a right handed retrieve. Definitely interested in hearing suggestions as well!

Thanks,
Steven

Mike, are you suggesting this brand to purchase? Or do you have one for sale? I see this is around $160 online for the 690-4, do you have a suggestion of a reel to pair with it?

Mike22

Mike, are you suggesting this brand to purchase? Or do you have one for sale? I see this is around $160 online for the 690-4, do you have a suggestion of a reel to pair with it?
I do suggest purchasing an Echo rod. I own an Ion, but it is not for sale. I would suggest a Redington Behemoth 5/6, Lamson Liquid 2.0, or any similarly sized reel assuming that you rinse it after use in saltwater.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I would definitely buy something in the 9 to 9’6” length with a fighting butt.
Echo rods are a solid value with excellent customer service.

Once you get the outfit, you’ll likely want to get some type of integrated shooting head type line.
Most folks fish full intermediate lines.

There are lots of line options out there.
There is a good thread on saltwater coho lines in the saltwater forum.
Whatever line you buy will work for both coho and cutts.

A stripping basket will help your fishing as well.

Good luck in your search.
SF

I would definitely buy something in the 9 to 9’6” length with a fighting butt.
Echo rods are a solid value with excellent customer service.

Once you get the outfit, you’ll likely want to get some type of integrated shooting head type line.
Most folks fish full intermediate lines.

There are lots of line options out there.
There is a good thread on saltwater coho lines in the saltwater forum.
Whatever line you buy will work for both coho and cutts.

A stripping basket will help your fishing as well.

Good luck in your search.
SF
Thanks, Stonefish. I’ll do some more forum searching on reels, backing line, etc to complete a setup.

I don’t think you could go wrong with one of those Redington path combo deals. And you could save some money for a good set of waders and change out the line for something better suited whenever you get around to it...not sure about the reel being changeable to right hand retrieve

Last edited:

kinigit

Here is the item number for the TFO BVK with Lamson Remix I mentioned. Seems like a very good buy and ends this evening. Ebay Item Number 123380033148

I don’t think you could go wrong with one of those Remington path combo deals. And you could save some money for a good set of waders and change out the line for something better suited whenever you get around to it...not sure about the reel being changeable to right hand retrieve
Only thing is the Redington rods are wood reel seat for 6 weight and below. This would be less than ideal for salt conditions, right?

Thanks for everyone's responses so far. I've bid on one of these BVK combos for now!

SquatchinSince86

Totally Unprofessional
I second or third the echo ion xl 6wt. Superb value and great casting rod. I bought mine used through here for song and dance. Lamson liquid has been my 8wt salt reel. No problems at all, ymmv. Rinse and repeat

Latest posts