Maui Jim tournament boat

Mems

Aloha got invited to fish a day on the Maui Jim 55 foot tournament boat. It was in kona to do some fishing and then haul out for yearly repairs.

The boat is awesome, not the normal skiffs I fish on out of Hilo. There was a full crew, a stocked bar and they grilled fresh mahi for us for lunch.

Here is Hilton Hotels manager Simon Amos fighting a big mahi from the chair. He is a good friend and gave me the invite.

Here is the gaff, it was so nice to just fish and only help clear lines. I didn't have to cut bait or gaff or clean fish. When I got home my wife said it did't look like or smell like I had been fishing.

Here was our haul for the day. Simon got big mahi. The fisher man on the left is Mike Tokunaga, owner of Tokunaga's fishing supplies in Hilo. He sells my Rainy's flies and TFO rods. It is the premier tackle shop on the big island. Mike got a nice mahi and a rare deep water ono. I got mahi to eat a squid on light tackle at the back of the boat.
We saw a mahi swim by the stern when we were told to bring in the lines to switch over to the trolling rods. I quickly put back on the squid and tossed it into the water and let it drift in free spool. The mahi picked up the squid and swam off, but dropped the bait, so I started to swim it back t the boat and the mahi followed right to the boat. The mahi played with the squid like a cat, and I twitched the squid to get it fired up. He took it , and I set the hook and it started a great areal show for us. The captain scoffed at my 60lb leader, but I got the mahi in no problem. High light was a small 150lb blue marlin hit a lure at a buoy and I jumped in the chair, it took a 100 yards of line,but threw the hook on the first jump. It was only bill wrapped. It was a fun day and we were treated to a great experience. Mike said his daughter calls this "movie star" fishing.

I want to thank Simon for the invite. I did have my 12wt, but we never had the right conditions to bust it out. It was a great day on the water and I cooked up a wonderful mahi dinner last night. Mems.

SilverFly

Dang it Don, yur killin' me! ;) Too bad you didn't get a chance to use the 12wt but still looks like a better day than working.

Mems

Yeah I called in sick and played hooky, so I actually got paid for this day. If they had stopped the boat and tossed out chum at the O-tec buoy, we could have cast to the mahi at the back of the boat, but I was not skipper. Can't complain, it was a blast.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
WFF Supporter
Yeah I called in sick and played hooky, so I actually got paid for this day. If they had stopped the boat and tossed out chum at the O-tec buoy, we could have cast to the mahi at the back of the boat, but I was not skipper. Can't complain, it was a blast.
A very simple diagnosis, fishing fever. A potential year-round disorder in Hawaii, but more seasonal in the PNW.
Steve

Greg Armstrong

WFF Supporter
Hey, I recognize that place! I crewed on a boat out of Kona in the 70’s (not as big as that one though:p).

Nice bunch of fish and thanks for the dejavu!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts