NFR Flu Shots – yes or no?

Rob Allen

Yes, of course I know that, I figured that most people reading this thread did. I’m just pushing back at some of the extreme views of some of the pro-vaccers :)

This thread covers a topic that addresses serious issues, life and death, both sides of the political isle. It’s basically impossible to talk about in an Internet forum setting without a lot of people getting upset or overly fired up. It can be fun to get your point of view out there, but guys can’t take it so seriously. I’m surprised the moderators let it continue, but that’s cool with me.
I am likewise pushing back against extreme views. And in a very real way Flu shots are just a proxy for a host of other of other issues in which tyrants want their way and want to squash all opposition even though their arguments have failed because they are wrong.

Right and wrong as portrayed by our founding documents is vastly more important than what in the moment is perceived as the common good.
Protecting the constitution is the common good and the further we get away from it the more the commom good becomes endangered.
That is why i oppose manditory flu vaccinations it's extremist.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Me and the wife went to Safeway today and got our shot. I asked for a band-aid and she said why, your not bleeding. Can't even have any fun getting a shot.

So many different ways to relable that.

I may agree that parents should vaccinate their kids. I find the use of government as a weapon against people to force them to do so absolutely abhorrent, immoral and downright evil.
Do you actually think before you type?.I bet you miss living at Hayden Lake!

Rob Allen

Do you actually think before you type?.I bet you miss living at Hayden Lake!
The answer is yes i think a lot before i type.
Where is Hayden Lake?
What stereotype are you claiming and what is your basis for doing so?
If your stereotype is accurate what is your rationale for using it when we have as a society said that using stereotypes is wrong?

Dan Page

Rob Allen,
Man, you're a glutton for punishment. I agree with you on this, but have no desire to try and convince anyone and don't care what they think. Going to bail out on this again.

Rob Allen

Rob Allen,
Man, you're a glutton for punishment. I agree with you on this, but have no desire to try and convince anyone and don't care what they think. Going to bail out on this again.
I am not trying to convince anyone either i just like exploring issues with people, especially fishermen.

jwg

Yes, i realize that. It's also not manditory for acceptance into the good people catagory.
No one likes to be coerced into an invasive procedure.
No one likes to be judged or belittled.

Since the flu shot is not mandatory, then one has to find criteria for making the free choice you have.

Will I benefit?
Will I suffer side effects or any other harm, within reasonable expectations?
Is it beneficial to others if I get the vaccine?
Is there potential harm to others if I don't get the vaccine?

For myself, the answers are yes, no, yes, and yes.
Easy Peasy decision for myself.

Things I hear factoring in for others include.
Is the government forcing this on me?
Is someone trying to influence me by shaming or belittling me?

For me the answers would be, factually no, and no.

I do believe that ethics can come into play because I am member of society and the human race, and my choices may affect others. And I derive many benefits by being a member of society, most of which I take for granted on most days.

Jay

Rob Allen

Since the flu shot is not mandatory, then one has to find criteria for making the free choice you have.

Will I benefit?

I do believe that ethics can come into play because I am member of society and the human race, and my choices may affect others. And I derive many benefits by being a member of society, most of which I take for granted on most days.

Jay
Sorry Jay, this thread has been full of shaming and belittling on the basis of not getting the shot.

Will I benefit?

Jay
Doesn't this just say that you get the shot so you are an ethical person. You are an intelligent person and ethical person so you get the shot. I think you should teach a class on Condescension. Yes, we are all-in-this together, but that doesn't mean that people who don't line up and kiss your ass are unethical, uneducated, or have a lesser, childlike understanding of the grand scheme of things that you happen too.

How about this. Here is 3 things that I can remember right now off the top of my head that have nothing to do with your absolutism.

1. I've seen where the AMA says that over 70% of illnesses can have a psycho-somatic component. So, whether it be stress related or a person is connected to bad people, at least in some part, and possibly the large part, the individual is making themselves sick. Why don't those 70% of the sick people get their lives together first and handle this element of life to at least take away this component before they would require the rest of the people to get sick for you.

2. Alcohol is bad for you
Coffee is bad for you
Sugar is bad for you.
Fast Food is bad for you.
Quit all of these things for one year, and see if your body still gets sick with the flue next time around.
People are already partly sick 1/2 the time anyway. If any one of you quits these bad things for 1 year and still gets the flu, I'll take the shot next year.

3. There is something fundamentally wrong with asking healthy and hale and hearty people to get sick for you. Hye dude, I'm already susceptable to getting the flu because of my lousy lifestyle choices, but I was thinking that you and your nice family could get sick for me this year so I can drink more beer.

Finally, there was one guy saying you can't take the Flu shot if you are allergic to eggs, well, this is from the CDC website.

"Special Consideration Regarding Egg Allergy

People with egg allergies can receive any licensed, recommended age-appropriate influenza vaccine (IIV, RIV4, or LAIV4) that is otherwise appropriate. People who have a history of severe egg allergy (those who have had any symptom other than hives after exposure to egg) should be vaccinated in a medical setting, supervised by a health care provider who is able to recognize and manage severe allergic reactions."

So he can put his hysteria back in his pants.

And you can shove your condescending attitude back in his pants too.

Latest posts