NFR Flu Shots – yes or no?

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Every year my Primary Doc asks me if I want a flu shot. The VA hospital where I get my health care has signs on the road in and all over the outpatient and inpatient areas. Every year I've declined largely because in the winter time I'm virtually never in contact with Petri dishes (aka little kids). I haven't had the flu in over 30 years.

Last year I read the flu vaccine was only about 40% effective and virtually useless against the really nasty strain.

I know that everything you stick in your body has a side effect. My sister gets a shot every year even though she always gets mild flu symptoms; headache, fever, nausea, muscle aches. While I don't hear about people dying from getting a flu shot, what side effects have people experienced?
Rabies
Anthrax
Diphtheria
Tuberculosis
Pneumonia
Leptospirosis
Distemper
Small Pox
Measles
Polio
. . .

Rob Allen

Well, also, you reacted as you did. J
Cause i am sick to death of bring told by wrong minded people telling me how to live.
The same kind of horrible people that bullied dicks sporting goods into not carrying semi automatic sporting rifles.

I am becoming more and more intolerant of bullies

b_illymac

Member Active
Cause i am sick to death of bring told by wrong minded people telling me how to live.
The same kind of horrible people that bullied dicks sporting goods into not carrying semi automatic sporting rifles.

The wrong minded people are not those that are spreading medical beliefs they know nothing about and are not backed in fact and that could get people killed? The Flu is nothing to mess around with Rob.

Rob Allen

The wrong minded people are not those that are spreading medical beliefs they know nothing about and are not backed in fact and that could get people killed? The Flu is nothing to mess around with Rob.
I am not spreading any information about the flu. I am standing up for my rights not ti get a shot.

I take that back i think a while back i mentioned how ineffective the vacvine is, at least compared to other vacvines.

There are a lot worse things to mess around with than the flu. Individual liberty being one of them.

I am not anti vaccine. Just anti bully.

Telling people they are bad for not getting the shot is bullying.

Last edited:

mrbiggs

I know, dude. Nobody's bullying Dick's either way. They use market research and decided not to sell semi-autos any more. The free market has decided.

To everyone else: I fell for the bait and let Rob get me off the topic. I'm sorry.

Matt Paluch

I am not spreading any information about the flu. I am standing up for my rights not ti get a shot.

I take that back i think a while back i mentioned how ineffective the vacvine is, at least compared to other vacvines.

There are a lot worse things to mess around with than the flu. Individual liberty being one of them.

I am not anti vaccine. Just anti bully.

Telling people they are bad for not getting the shot is bullying.
80,000 dead Americans last year from the flu. Pretty sure that makes it the deadliest disease in this country that has a vaccine available.

Please don't get the flu shot, Rob. Then the next time you see a sick kid sneeze, go get the Kleenex out of the trash and rub it all over your face.

Rob Allen

80,000 dead Americans last year from the flu. Pretty sure that makes it the deadliest disease in this country that has a vaccine available.

Please don't get the flu shot, Rob. Then the next time you see a sick kid sneeze, go get the Kleenex out of the trash and rub it all over your face.

A poor vaccine:
The CDC reported in February 2018 that between 2004/2005 and 2017/2018, the influenza vaccine was less than 50 percent effective in ten out of 14 flu seasons. In the 2014-2015 flu season, the influenza vaccine was only 19 percent effective.

80,00 dead Americans whether I get vaccinated or not.
the deadliest disease in the country and one we can do damn little about.

i don't think i have ever had the flu.. a couple bad cases of food poisoning this last fall though given to me by food industry experts.

Matt Paluch

A poor vaccine:
The CDC reported in February 2018 that between 2004/2005 and 2017/2018, the influenza vaccine was less than 50 percent effective in ten out of 14 flu seasons. In the 2014-2015 flu season, the influenza vaccine was only 19 percent effective.

80,00 dead Americans whether I get vaccinated or not.
the deadliest disease in the country and one we can do damn little about.

i don't think i have ever had the flu.. a couple bad cases of food poisoning this last fall though given to me by food industry experts.
Wrong. The vaccine reduces symptoms and mortality of those who still get the flu.

"Some people who get vaccinated may still get sick. However, flu vaccination has been shown in some studies to reduce severity of illness in people who get vaccinated but still get sick. A 2017 study showed that flu vaccination reduced deaths, intensive care unit (ICU) admissions, ICU length of stay, and overall duration of hospitalization among hospitalized flu patients. Another study in 2018 showed that a vaccinated adult who was hospitalized with flu was 59 percent less likely to be admitted to the Intensive Care Unit than someone who had not been vaccinated. Among adults in the ICU with flu, vaccinated patients on average spent 4 fewer days in the hospital than those who were not vaccinated. In addition, it’s important to remember that flu vaccine protects against three or 4 different viruses and multiple viruses usually circulate during any one season. For these reasons, CDC continues to recommend flu vaccination for everyone 6 months and older even if vaccine effectiveness against one or more viruses is reduced."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

jwg

There is another way of living where you don't feel personally targeted for shame or bullying by the remarks of others discussing something back and forth on this forum.
J

Rob Allen

There is another way of living where you don't feel personally targeted for shame or bullying by the remarks of others discussing something back and forth on this forum.
J
I don't feel any shame at all and i don't care how you guys treat me. I just want to make sure that 1. Bullies are called out and fighting against any of their ideas that may become public policy.
Because personal liberty is the paramount concept for civilization to rhrive.

sportsman

. Bullies are called out and fighting against any of their ideas that may become public policy.
Wow. You mean like an election 2 years ago? Rob, if you had just said that at the beginning of this thread it wouldn't have made it past page 2. I'm sure everyone on this site is truly sorry that you have felt bullied!

Latest posts