NFR Flu Shots – yes or no?

Rock Creek Fan

Every week or so I check out why this thread is still going. Maybe I shouldn't but it peaks my curiosity for some reason....

It actually has become enjoyable. Rob has been on Ignore the whole time so I do not see any of his comments. Sorta like listening to one-side of a phone conversation and figuring out what is being said on the other end... The articulation by some members fills in some of the conversation I am missing. The rest is keeping my mind going with mental exercises - something good for old age people like me.

You ought to try it - makes it for great fun :)

smc

Every week or so I check out why this thread is still going. Maybe I shouldn't but it peaks my curiosity for some reason....

It actually has become enjoyable. Rob has been on Ignore the whole time so I do not see any of his comments. Sorta like listening to one-side of a phone conversation and figuring out what is being said on the other end... The articulation by some members fills in some of the conversation I am missing. The rest is keeping my mind going with mental exercises - something good for old age people like me.

You ought to try it - makes it for great fun :)
Yeah, having Rob on ignore is like a... vaccine.:cool:

Matt Paluch

Unfortunately, it’s only 40-60% effective, because you still see all the reponses to his posts.
Whoa, I just had an epiphany. If we achieve herd immunity for Rob, would that eradicate him? I’m guessing it would take a vaccination (ignore) rate of 80% or more. Then he couldn’t see enough posts to reply ignorantly on and he would probably be bored enough to leave. We should consider this.

T

Trapper

First. When I started this thread back in October I was merely asking for input about the pros and cons of getting the flu shot. I knew there is a wide range of experience and knowledge here on the WFF. I certainly got input from both sides of the aisle. Personally, I believe it's a good idea to study both sides of an argument.

Second. I eagerly read each and every one of Rob's posts. I have no one on my ignore list.

Why?

I think of the many stories of Xanthippe, the wife of Socrates. She was depicted as a Shrew who tortured and frustrated Socrates. Socrates held her in high esteem because she challenged everything he said. He knew if his argument held up to her scrutiny it was a solid argument. She attacked his philosophical positions with a vengeance but also with a point of view he lacked. She was not nearly the mind he was, but was a crucial part of history.

It is my opinion that Scientific Inquiry began with people like Xanthippe. At one time it was a given that the earth was mostly flat. It was only when that given was challenged did we alter our ideas about our planet.

In my world, challenges to my POV are good things.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I think Rob has plenty to add at times. I also think he's incredibly ignorant at times but can't recognize it based on whatever reason (be it his faith or just plain old stubbornness)... doesn't make him a bad guy. His opinions just differ from many. I've bumped heads with him a few times, but I think I've left any of the name calling out of it (hopefully I'm not wrong on that point). I don't think that anyone benefits from that.

Matt Paluch

First. When I started this thread back in October I was merely asking for input about the pros and cons of getting the flu shot. I knew there is a wide range of experience and knowledge here on the WFF. I certainly got input from both sides of the aisle. Personally, I believe it's a good idea to study both sides of an argument.

Second. I eagerly read each and every one of Rob's posts. I have no one on my ignore list.

Why?

I think of the many stories of Xanthippe, the wife of Socrates. She was depicted as a Shrew who tortured and frustrated Socrates. Socrates held her in high esteem because she challenged everything he said. He knew if his argument held up to her scrutiny it was a solid argument. She attacked his philosophical positions with a vengeance but also with a point of view he lacked. She was not nearly the mind he was, but was a crucial part of history.

It is my opinion that Scientific Inquiry began with people like Xanthippe. At one time it was a given that the earth was mostly flat. It was only when that given was challenged did we alter our ideas about our planet.

In my world, challenges to my POV are good things.
Challenging science is a critical part of science. When someone ignores any evidence just because they don't like it (or the person who is offering the evidence), the discussion becomes meaningless.

I decided that I wasn't going to let Rob get the last word on this topic. I know that I was especially hard on him here, and that may put people reading along anonymously off. At some point in today's social media society, those with knowledge need to put in the time and effort to make the best science the loudest voice in the room. It takes a lot of effort because those without knowledge seem to be constantly spreading their ideas. It is critical that the ideas that have no merit are addressed - otherwise others may start to believe these bad ideas more than the scientifically supported ideas. Which is why we have anti-vaxxers and the flat earth society and climate deniers in the first place.

T

Trapper

Challenging science is a critical part of science.
When someone ignores any evidence just because they don't like it (or the person who is offering the evidence), the discussion becomes meaningless.
I agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second. Evolution is regularly challenged by those who have no evidence. I believe it motivates people like Bill Nye to develop all sorts of models to better explain evolution to those who don't understand it and to correct those challenges that are based on a misunderstanding of the facts. One misunderstanding that keeps coming up is, "Evolution is false because it insists humans evolved from apes. If that were true why are there still apes?" Science shows Homo sapiens evolved from a common ancestor; not that we evolved from apes. One species does not need to vanish simply because another appears on the planet. I came from my ancestors. My parents existence doesn't negate mine.

Matt. Consider the role of Penny on The Big Bang Theory and the critical role she plays among all the genius scientists.

I decided that I wasn't going to let Rob get the last word on this topic. I know that I was especially hard on him here, and that may put people reading along anonymously off. At some point in today's social media society, those with knowledge need to put in the time and effort to make the best science the loudest voice in the room. It takes a lot of effort because those without knowledge seem to be constantly spreading their ideas. It is critical that the ideas that have no merit are addressed - otherwise others may start to believe these bad ideas more than the scientifically supported ideas. Which is why we have anti-vaxxers and the flat earth society and climate deniers in the first place.
I'm grateful you lent your research on the subject to this thread. Rob was free of course to disagree. His manner may be awkward or aggrevating, but it's still his right. And, he has to know if he's going to dish it out he has moved his opinion into the "fair game" arena. He's stayed with the forum and taken all sorts of heat. He obviously has a thick skin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt Paluch

I agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second. Evolution is regularly challenged by those who have no evidence. I believe it motivates people like Bill Nye to develop all sorts of models to better explain evolution to those who don't understand it and to correct those challenges that are based on a misunderstanding of the facts. One misunderstanding that keeps coming up is, "Evolution is false because it insists humans evolved from apes. If that were true why are there still apes?" Science shows Homo sapiens evolved from a common ancestor; not that we evolved from apes. One species does not need to vanish simply because another appears on the planet. I came from my ancestors. My parents existence doesn't negate mine.

Matt. Consider the role of Penny on The Big Bang Theory and the critical role she plays among all the genius scientists.

I'm grateful you lent your research on the subject to this thread. Rob was free of course to disagree. His manner may be awkward or aggrevating, but it's still his right. And, he has to know if he's going to dish it out he has moved his opinion into the "fair game" arena. He's stayed with the forum and taken all sorts of heat. He obviously has a thick skin.
I'll write more after the chaos of this morning has subsided. The challenge to evolution has no value at this point. We would have moved on and developed a better understanding of evolution and how it works if so much time wasn't needed to educate those amongst us who don't understand and are unwilling to learn.

I don't watch the big bang theory, so I'm not familiar with your reference.

It is everyone's right to voice their opinion. They may get hurt feelings in the process. My idea about herd immunity to Rob was not meant in seriousness, though it would give an experimental example of how actual vaccinations work.

Latest posts