NFR Flu Shots – yes or no?

dld

First. When I started this thread back in October I was merely asking for input about the pros and cons of getting the flu shot. I knew there is a wide range of experience and knowledge here on the WFF. I certainly got input from both sides of the aisle. Personally, I believe it's a good idea to study both sides of an argument.

Second. I eagerly read each and every one of Rob's posts. I have no one on my ignore list.

Why?

I think of the many stories of Xanthippe, the wife of Socrates. She was depicted as a Shrew who tortured and frustrated Socrates. Socrates held her in high esteem because she challenged everything he said. He knew if his argument held up to her scrutiny it was a solid argument. She attacked his philosophical positions with a vengeance but also with a point of view he lacked. She was not nearly the mind he was, but was a crucial part of history.

It is my opinion that Scientific Inquiry began with people like Xanthippe. At one time it was a given that the earth was mostly flat. It was only when that given was challenged did we alter our ideas about our planet.

In my world, challenges to my POV are good things.
Engineer here. I have spent a lot of time with non-engineers. Basically every friend I have ever had was not in engineering or sciences. On paper they sound a bit like Rob. The difference is that they were rational people who valued having a very logical person around. On the flip side, I am very logical, but have an intense love for the arts. I love literature, film, poetry, painting, design, architecture, music, etc..

I've said before, I find Rob hilarious. I don't think highly enough of most people to get angry about things they say that are absolutely ignorant, or untrue.

T

Trapper

I was once asked, "How could anyone ever derive pleasure by standing in a river waving a stick?"

From their POV, sitting on a comfortable couch in a climate controlled living room playing Xbox games made a lot more sense than fly fishing.

smc

First. When I started this thread back in October I was merely asking for input about the pros and cons of getting the flu shot. I knew there is a wide range of experience and knowledge here on the WFF. I certainly got input from both sides of the aisle. Personally, I believe it's a good idea to study both sides of an argument.

Second. I eagerly read each and every one of Rob's posts. I have no one on my ignore list.

Why?

I think of the many stories of Xanthippe, the wife of Socrates. She was depicted as a Shrew who tortured and frustrated Socrates. Socrates held her in high esteem because she challenged everything he said. He knew if his argument held up to her scrutiny it was a solid argument. She attacked his philosophical positions with a vengeance but also with a point of view he lacked. She was not nearly the mind he was, but was a crucial part of history.

It is my opinion that Scientific Inquiry began with people like Xanthippe. At one time it was a given that the earth was mostly flat. It was only when that given was challenged did we alter our ideas about our planet.

In my world, challenges to my POV are good things.
I do have Rob on ignore, but: I read his posts. Perhaps it's just my way of taming the Shrew.

I feel that Rob is a valuable member of this community. Just look at what his contributions to this thread, and many others, have created. This would be a duller and less informed place, if only due to the responses that Rob generates, without Rob.

Last edited:

HBB

At some point in today's social media society, those with knowledge need to put in the time and effort to make the best science the loudest voice in the room. It takes a lot of effort because those without knowledge seem to be constantly spreading their ideas. It is critical that the ideas that have no merit are addressed - otherwise others may start to believe these bad ideas more than the scientifically supported ideas.
I thought this was very well stated, Matt.

I agree with what others have said that this forum is a more entertaining place with Rob in it. However, his role in this, and a number of other threads that involve science, is to still be arguing for a flat earth. Science progresses when those who question the current ideas have something new to offer.

So, while I think Rob offers some entertainment value to the forum, it is distressing that there are so many people like Rob who are as persistent and vocal about what they think is true that it prevents progress. Vaccines and climate change are probably better examples than my own field, evolution, because there are urgent policy issues that depend on sufficient agreement among our society to affect change. Apart from the occasional skirmishes over teaching creationism, research on evolution is steaming ahead quite nicely and influencing many areas from medicine to resource management, where the explicit role of evolutionary theory stays below the radar.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
Don't get Rob started on evolution....please.
He's a flat earther Jesus rode a dinosaur earth is 6000 years old type.
Thread over/under is 45 pages....

Reactions: dld

dld

Just so we hit on everything, since flat-earth has just been mentioned, I'd like to add:

Flouride in the water,
Chemtrails,
Adolph's submarine,

dld

Don't get Rob started on evolution....please.
He's a flat earther Jesus rode a dinosaur earth is 6000 years old type.
Thread over/under is 45 pages....
Fascinating!

One of my favorite things is to listen to conspiracy theorists. I once listened to a dude I had never met for two hours. One of my newish friends came over and ruined it, he got in arguments with the guy until the guy left. Afterwards my friend said he couldn't believe that I believed in that stuff. I had to explain that I am just so humored by it, I'll say anything to keep it going.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Has anyone here mentioned the measles outbreak and folks not vaccinating their children? I’ve read through quite a bit here but didn’t see that.

T

Trapper

We live in a very diverse culture. Our current President and his rise to power was an eye opener for me. He won with the support of many Americans who felt underserved and under-represented. He has the staunch support of people like Rob even though he is, by biblical definition, an adulterer.

I want to understand those Americans who, like Sarah Sanders, believe Trump was put in the Oval Office by their God. I want to understand why certain Americans have a devotion to Alex Jones, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Laura Ingram.

I have plenty of friends who agree with me on most subjects. Listening to them is enriching but very limited in scope. I enjoy expanding my scope. One of my personal axioms is, "Challenge your assumptions."

Latest posts