NFR Flu Shots – yes or no?

So am I in a lot of ways, but I helped care for a relative when he had shingles and observed his misery close-up & for an agonizingly long time. I had no doubt about getting vaccinated when I hit 50 & I'll do it again as soon as Shingrix is available to me.
Ditto here.
Three of my family members have had it over the years and it's not something I want.

Anyone who has recovered from Chickenpox at some time in their life can get Shingles...

Kilchis

I found Shingrix at Walgreens. Don't get the shot in your casting arm if you have a trip scheduled in the few days following the shot.

Richard E

Every year my Primary Doc asks me if I want a flu shot. The VA hospital where I get my health care has signs on the road in and all over the outpatient and inpatient areas. Every year I've declined largely because in the winter time I'm virtually never in contact with Petri dishes (aka little kids). I haven't had the flu in over 30 years.

Last year I read the flu vaccine was only about 40% effective and virtually useless against the really nasty strain.

I know that everything you stick in your body has a side effect. My sister gets a shot every year even though she always gets mild flu symptoms; headache, fever, nausea, muscle aches. While I don't hear about people dying from getting a flu shot, what side effects have people experienced?
I had an employee who got the flu on a Wednesday, it grew to pneumonia on Saturday, hospital and a coma on Monday. She went to the gym several times per week, ate healthy, and drank beer. She was healthy by most checklists.

Yeah, it’s not very common to get flu, but it happens. To me the decision is a function of age. As one get older, our system becomes less robust and less able to combat sickness.

I’m not a gambler, so I vote yes on the shot.

I had shingles and is a truly horrible experience. I do still get phantom pain in the area sometimes 40yrs. later
Same. I'm lucky in that I got it more than once, yay. Took years for the scars to fade and I'm on a daily preventative now since the vaccine will most likely not work. For those saying 50+ years old, I got it at 40 for the first time...

I get the flu shot every year. My kids get the flu shot every year. My wife gets the flu shot every year. This "debate" is incredibly frustrating. Medical science gives you the best chance for survival. Rejecting medical science is at-best a crap shoot. People who are skeptical of the flu vaccine's effectiveness look at the 30% effectiveness rate (I'm just using this number for an example - the effectiveness of the vaccine changes yearly) and think "Well that's not good enough to really protect me." But it is. I don't have the time to explain herd immunity, but I suggest anyone thinking about not getting any vaccine to look it up on the AMA website or the CDC website - don't go to google. The AMA and CDC use science to give you the best answers to your questions. Search engines and news outlets have a history of reporting controversy over fact.

One of the biggest problems with social media (yes, on this site too) is that bad ideas spread rapidly and gain widespread support. Seeing a friend post that they never had the flu until right after they got the flu shot gives people the impression that the shot somehow caused harm to a friend. What social media doesn't show is the huge amount of data proving the effectiveness of vaccines. After all, it's personal when you hear a friend claim harm from the shot. It's not personal to hear that the vaccine could have saved 100,000 lives - or a million lives, since those numbers are hard to personify.

I'm married to a pediatrician. She is constantly reading every medical study published in the various medical journals. There is no way that a google search or a facebook group or a fly fishing forum will give a better understanding of vaccines and their effects than the knowledge my wife has. Don't trust any of the posts here. Don't trust me. Go to your doctor (who is hopefully board certified and in good standing) and discuss it with her/him. Your doctor is your best resource to help make medical decisions.

Not only no but "Hell No!" I lived in Asia for 7 years, 4 of those in China, where every single strain of the flu in history originated (despite names like "Spanish Flu). I gathered up enough antibodies during that time to tide me over. Plus I am still, at 59 years, afraid of needles.

For those who don't know, flu is always originally an avian disease. Wild birds pass it along to ducks. In China, ducks and pigs muck about in the same filth beneath or next to a home, eating - well, you don't want to know what they eat. The pigs ingest it and inside the pig the virus gets transformed into a flu version that can be passed along to humans. The avian nature of flu is why vaccines are grown inside chicken eggs.