Trip Report Montana tailwater in Fall

T

Trapper

Yesterday a friend had the day off so we took his raft to float the Missouri.

It got above freezing about 0900, but we didn’t see much sun. We got on the water about 1030.

3115CB8F-EFC1-48E7-8851-EB2FB601B03C.jpeg

It was slow early. We caught a few each, but had to make a lot of casts.

023274E2-7110-4150-BCF3-BB2E5230B473.jpeg

Early to mid afternoon the pseudocloeons starting hatching and there were heads up eating them. We anchored the raft and picked up nice (16”-19”) bows on the small (#18 & #20) Mayfly patterns.

D193C73A-88A2-46B2-A910-FBA9AF7B5D0A.jpeg

It was great until the frontal boundary of the cold front moved in with wind and dropping temperatures.

This morning it’s snowing hard here at my house and windy.

Bowbonehead

Sounds like a great day..... we have been having the same weather up here in Alberta...... Snout hunting one day and shoveling snow the next.....

I usually carry two rigged rods; one with a streamer set up for prospecting during slow times, and one rigged with a floating line, long leader, and the bug of the day. Usually a nymph to start out with, then a dry, emerger, or my favorite, a soft hackle when heads show.

VanAllen

www.riverforged.com
I fished all over SW Montana during Thanksgiving week last year. Windy, but very mild temperatures and very little snow on the ground in places. I guess I shouldn't expect that this year, from the reports of cold and snow I've been hearing.

T

Trapper

I fished all over SW Montana during Thanksgiving week last year. Windy, but very mild temperatures and very little snow on the ground in places. I guess I shouldn't expect that this year, from the reports of cold and snow I've been hearing.
This is what it looks like at my house now. 32°.

7D27F04D-926D-48D1-BF4D-2B5C75290574.jpeg

WAS

I remember a late October Missouri trip many years ago with two other Spokanites. We spent the afternoon throwing drakes on the Clark Fork. Later, more like early evening, heading north out of Lincoln was snowing like a bandit. We met rigs with heaps of snow on the hoods and tops. Halfway up Roger's Pass we passed a plow coming down, then no further traffic. Must have closed it by then. Snow coming down in piles, both of those guys thought we should turn around. Since we were in my 2wd Chevy driving in the oncoming lane with the Clacka behind us I said there is no stopping or turning around unless you want to spend the night up here. We inched down, then made new, deep tracks to Wolf Creek, stopping halfway on I15 to Cascade to break the ice off the parking brake cable. Was a cold night at the Badger, and we couldn't launch the next day. Even the Trout Shop was closed, but the next day we got a shuttle and caught a few. Biggest was an old brown across from Bernie's place, up against the wall. Good times, for younger men.

My two boys still talk about the day you guided them, Trapper. The Serendipity was the fly of the day!

Wes

Last edited: