fly tying hook recommendations?

Posted this in the fly fishing forum and thought maybe it would be more appropriate here:

https://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/143778/

With our son's interest in tying his own, I am looking for recommendations for hooks to use. Focus will be trout and panfish/bass and will range from scuds, San Juan worms, eggs, etc. up to streamers. If you have suggestions for hook sizes/patterns that would be best for him as he is learning to tie and sources you would recommend for hooks I would appreciate your recommendations. I looked on Fly Tyers Dungeon, but didn't see hooks available through them? A kit with an asst. of hooks in various styles/sizes is what I am hoping to find. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

I know one thing that can help when you're first tying is to use ring eye hooks instead of up or down eye models. I use ring eye hooks for just about everything other than tiny, tiny patterns and some specialty flies.

I've found the ring eye hook, at least for me, makes it easier to tie material behind the eye and whip finish the head.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Kind of like my reloading centerfire cartridges, I'm not sure we will save any $ with this hobby, but I am sure he will have fun and enjoy the reward of catching fish on his own hand-tied creations. I will post more pictures as he gets a little more practice.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. Kind of like my reloading centerfire cartridges, I'm not sure we will save any $ with this hobby, but I am sure he will have fun and enjoy the reward of catching fish on his own hand-tied creations. I will post more pictures as he gets a little more practice.
You won't save $$$ by tying your own flies. The reason is that you'll find you're continually buying the "latest greatest" materials and tools. It's not really a hobby because most folks tie flies to use them as a tool for fooling fish. I guess the practice is an extension of the sport of flyfishing.

I highly recommend checking with your local fly shop to see if they put on beginner fly tying classes. It’s tough to beat some expert in person help to get started on basic techniques. Then a few beginner tying books help as well. I prefer the books by skip Morris. But that is just personal preference. Once you learn basic techniques it’s just a matter of practice and imagination

You won't save $$$ by tying your own flies. The reason is that you'll find you're continually buying the "latest greatest" materials and tools. It's not really a hobby because most folks tie flies to use them as a tool for fooling fish. I guess the practice is an extension of the sport of flyfishing.
No doubt you are correct on this part. I was joking about the saving money part, but I am sure it is something Layne will enjoy as an extension as you are suggesting. He is sure enjoying all of the reading and watching videos as he learns.

We don't have any fly shops near us, but will use the books and online videos to start learning the basics. Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions. Much appreciated!

Latest posts