Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rogue River madness

Trip Report 
3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  GAT 
#1 ·
7 for 8 steelhead in 3 days. 5 on the swing. 5 big ass hungry cutties 18-24” and maybe 100 trout and 1/2 pounders

All hatchery fish were harmed in the making of this trip and were delicious

Love my new 7wt switch. Perfect for summer steel

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
Had the same experience for the last 4 years. I let them all go though. I feel as long as there is a hatchery the idea of bonking hatchery fish makes no diff. If you do the math it’s understandable. Sad part is when you see dead steelhead on the bank, or nailed to trees because they are hatchery. No respect for a species that is already low in numbers on most rivers.

Last year I landed about 30 in a week. This year a few less. Used the wrong tip for the first three days. It was a floating. I was trying to get them to come up but they wouldn’t.

#15 ·
Had the same experience for the last 4 years. I let them all go though. I feel as long as there is a hatchery the idea of bonking hatchery fish makes no diff. If you do the math it's understandable. Sad part is when you see dead steelhead on the bank, or nailed to trees because they are hatchery. No respect for a species that is already low in numbers on most rivers.

Last year I landed about 30 in a week. This year a few less. Used the wrong tip for the first three days. It was a floating. I was trying to get them to come up but they wouldn't.
I eat every hatchery fish I kill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.