Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Southern Utah/Eastern Sierra Stillwaters

Trip Report 
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Big Rob 
#1 ·
Moving to Las Vegas this past July has made me appreciate even more the fly fishing opportunities available to us in Washington state and the Pacific Northwest regardless where we live. Here in the desert such opportunities require a longer drive to access if you are targeting trout in stillwater, which is what I did in recent trips to Panguitich lake and the Boulder mountains in Utah and the Eastern Sierras in California. It was my first time fishing in both areas, but likely not the last. Strong winds throughout my trip to Utah made fishing difficult, but the weather in California was more conducive to fishing out of my pram.. All told I fished 2 small lakes in the Boulder mountains, Panguitich and Crowley lakes.. along with some time on Hot creek. Didn't catch as many as I hoped (at least not the larger fish.. lots of smaller fish up to 12" were caught), but caught some really nice fish. Other than Hot creek and a minor emergence of chironomids at Crowley the best bite was on balance leeches, minnows, bloodworms and blobs under an indicator in less than 10ft of water. Anchored along the river channel at the north end of Crowley in 6ft of water some really nice rainbows up to 24 inches were caught on bloodworms and minnow patterns imitating the perch fry readily abundant in the lake.. here are a few photos from the trip.. Water Liquid Fluid Fish Marine biology
Marine biology Fish Electric blue Salmon-like fish Ray-finned fish
Water Liquid Fluid Fish Marine biology
Water Fluid Marine biology Liquid Snout
Water Underwater Organism Mammal Fish
Water Organism Body of water Underwater Marine biology
Water Water resources Underwater Watercourse Road surface
Food Fluid Fish Fish products Liquid
Cloud Water Sky Mountain Natural landscape
Marine biology Fish Electric blue Salmon-like fish Ray-finned fish

See less See more
#2 ·
Lots of cool options in Southeastern Utah. Glad you got out there. Utah Dept of Fish and Game has Southern and Southeastern Utah weekly fishing reports online that they will auto email you if you sign up for it. I don't reference them much there for the actual fishing reports as I do for ice off/on reports if you are thinking of early spring to June-ish trips and late fall stuff higher up in elevation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.