Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mt Rainier National Park Fly Fishing

11K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Deceased 
#1 ·
I went to Mt Rainier for a field trip lately and learned from the Rangers that there is some fishing in the park. Can anyone tell me some access points to get started. I am not begging or looking for certain spots, I just wanna get started.

#10 ·
Fly fished the Ohanapecosh way long ago with a brand new Eagle Claw and Phleuger...Yeah too long ago...My favorite log jams long gone...Yeah it's slow in the park...but boy is it beautiful and really for me the beauty is what calls me anyway...take pictures...the light and weather will be magnificent.

#12 ·
The only reason I can think for fishing in Mt Rainier National Park is if for some reason you cannot go somewhere else to fish. The fishing is generally lousy (unless you like catching oodles of 6" pinhead trout), with a few slightly brighter spots. The NP is about as interested in promoting fishing in the park as they are in promoting big game hunting. Which means they aren't interested.

Park waters have not been stocked since 1973. This means the only lakes and streams with fish are those with naturally self-sustaining populations. For lakes, that mostly means populations of stunted, pin-head, brook trout, and some with cutthroat. Even some of the lakes that the park lists as not having any fish do have populations of small brook trout. 20-some years ago I caught a really nice rainbow trout in Marjorie Lake in the north part of the park. There were very few fish left in the lake, and I wouldn't make the brushy cross-country hike again for the quality of fishing that I found. You can get to Harris Lake on good trail, and it is full of rainbow trout, but they're not very large either, since there is too much good spawning habitat in the creek that runs into it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.