Calineuria californica & doroneuria baumanii emergence

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
I'm reading Gary Borgers great book, designing trout flies. In the stonefly section under "emergers" Gary makes the statement that Polly Rosborough notes conclusively that these golden stones of the west emerge on the bottom of the stream and swiftly swim to the surface and suggests an adult fly fished wet. I must admit I like this idea. Does anyone have experience with this behavior or any patterns or story's to tell in regards. Maybe a Polly book to read is in order. Thanks to all who read.
Johnny aka troutonglass

Travis Bille

I was pretty sure golden stones crawl on the bottom, up on to the bank ,and then emerge on rocks and foliage. I've never heard of them swimming up and emerging in the surface film. But there are probably 10,000 people on this forum more qualified than me to chime in on this, so I'm excited to see what they say.

john gates

Vw Bus driving(68) God Fearing Adventure Seeker
Actually what was written was that the bugs do the metamorphosis at the bottom of shallow perimeter areas so in the water but at the bottom not the surface. It's still something I'm wondering about. I might do some investigating pollys books.

FinLuver

If I recall, most of Polly's experiences are around the Klamath Basin; to me, that area seemed a bit "different" than other parts of Oregon. I have this book....
Fuzzy Nymps.jpg

.... and have read about half of it. I will have to find the reference mentioned above.

Another great book, is this one...
Bug Water.jpg

And a good video that may shed some light...
Bugs of the Underworld.jpg

FinLuver

Thanks for the post. Definitely bwill look at those links and books.
John, I looked though my copies of the two books above (DVD is on order) for reference to what you are asking. I'll post page #s of interest from both, then make a comment and an observation of my own.

Bug Water...
Pg(s): 95, 97, and 145

Fuzzy Nymphs...
Pg(s): 53, 54, 164-65

Comments: Arlen's book makes no mention of the doroneuria baumanni (that I can find). Polly's book makes reference to the emergence you seek (pg 54). He later references his fishing technique of "swimming" the nymph by twitching the rod (pgs 164-65).

Now for a personal observation: I grew up on the N. Umpqua and fish it to this day. I know the "exact" location where Polly's mentions seeing the stonefly take flight in-stream. I have seen nymphal shucks on the rocks clear into October (some look pretty old, while some look pretty new); including those of the Slate Drake. I don't recall ever seeing a stone fly emerge mid-stream, but have seen egg laying females on the water. I'm no "expert", but I can't help wonder, if that is not what Polly was seeing.

Beings I had not heard of this stonefly, I went to the internet and found this by John Kreft...

http://www.johnkreft.com/golden-stonefly-cousin-doroneuria-baumanni/

I believe you'll recognize a "familiar" name, know as Taxon (the keeper of this sub-forum), who responds to John's inquiry.

Last edited:

FinLuver

suggests an adult fly fished wet
On a particular river, Mid Fk Willamette, in one stretch the fish wanted the Stimulator high n dry...another stretch they wouldn't touch the fly until it was drug under the water.

Where they liked it drowned, would be where I would normally fish my nymphs...riffle to pool transition.

tackleman

I did some searching but wasn't able to find any information about hatch characteristics for the 'Cascade' stonefly. Could it actually hatch underwater, even at stream margins, as opposed to crawling out of the water as we usually expect of other stoneflies?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts