Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Christmas Island October 2018

Trip Report 
1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Richard E 
#1 · (Edited)
Just back from a week at Christmas Island. I arranged the trip through YDFF as I have with other trips and once again, things were just as they had told they would be. We stayed at the Villages leaving HNL on Tuesday, October 2nd through October 9th. I chose to cushion my trip a day in Waikiki just in case something went sideways. Monday I visited Shaun up at Nervous Waters Fly Shop for some flies I had him custom tie for me. Shaun was awesome in dispensing info about the fishing and the people. Kudo's to him.

The Villages is a great place to stay. Accommodations are basic, but clean. Food was good, especially after pounding the flats for 8 hours in the sun. Lodge employees along with the other residents are very gracious and super nice. Breakfast is at 6:15 and the boat leaves at about 7am. Returns about 4 to 4:30pm. Sun is very strong there. 8 bottles of water a day on the flat and only peed once.

We had good tides progressing to a high tide towards the end of the fishing day. Lots of Bonefish, Triggers, Golden Trevally's and a few shots and follows at GT's with many refusals( they are harder to catch than you think when you do it without chumming). Very interesting place with Manta Rays in the lagoon as a highlight.

Sunrise and a flat:
Cloud Sky Plant Building Tree
Cloud Water Sky Azure Beach

Water Sky Boat Cloud Watercraft
Cloud Sky Light Wood Line
Water Cloud Sky Boat Watercraft

Beautiful Manta Rays:

Water Liquid Fluid Fin Lake
Water Vertebrate Fin Liquid Lake
Water Azure Fluid Liquid Fin
Water Water resources Sky Cloud Azure
Water Sky Cloud Water resources Azure
Water Cloud Liquid Sky Azure

6 and 8LB Bonefish on a worm pattern:( Disregard zinc on nose! Sun was brutal)
Water Cloud Sky Goggles Body of water

Water Sky Fisherman Fish Outdoor recreation

Baby GT( biggest one landed for me) and a 12 lb Golden Trevally on an 8 weight( took me for a ride)

Sky Cloud Fishing reel Casting (fishing) Angling
Water Sky Cloud Goggles Outdoor recreation
Water Sky Cloud Goggles Outdoor recreation

Best Trigger for me. Hooked 7 and landed only 2. Very tough customers indeed, but an awesome fight on an 8 weight. A few bent hooks. Guide got one ( not pictured ) out of his house. We were actually fishing for Bones on the last part of the last day. I pointed out a wind knot in the 20 LB, but he said not to worry about it. The lower half of the leader was 12 LB due to the water being a bit skinny and the fish skittish. We saw 1 and hooked it briefly. We thought that was all there was and almost did not see the 2nd one at about 25 feet. Cast to it, got a follow, strip set ( very important ) and away we went. Very relieved to get it in and proud of this one.

Water Sky Cloud Sunglasses Mammal
Water Sky Cloud Smile Vertebrate
Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Goggles
Water Sky Sunglasses Goggles Mammal

Of course, there was a compromise in this. Meeting my wife in Maui for some R and R.

Water Sky Cloud Plant Building
Food Tableware Ingredient Staple food Recipe
Cloud Sky Water Plant Shade
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Atmosphere

Very relaxing and great fishing for a good price.

Thanks for looking.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.