SA Sonar Titan lines ?

Are these a shooting head line comparable to OB's or 40+'s, just found cracks in the last of my favorite old 5wt OB long hover (210g) :( I've been through four of these lines since they first came out years ago (RIO used to make good lines that lasted). Got to find a replacement, I don't care for the OB shorts but they do offer one in a hover 6wt (210 grain which would work) and 40+'s only come in a intermediate (damn, really like their lines and I use one)

Just thought I'd ask if anyone has used them or is using one and there thoughts.
Thanks,
Mark

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Mark,
I bought the Sonar Titan intermediate.
I returned it because it just didn't sink. I thought it was a mislabeled floater at first.
It would sink eventually but very slowly after floating on the surface film. It acted much like an old turquoise SA intermediate I once had. It got no depth in decent current.
Casting and handling wise it was great.

Maybe SA only tested its sinking properties in freshwater. The shop owner where I bought it tried it as well and mentioned the same thing about it not sinking.
The intermediate may work perfectly for what you are looking for in a hover line.
SF

Thanks Brian, I guess if the intermediate didn't sink there's not much hope the hover will ? Reminds me of the first SA GPX hover I tried, fished it for about a hour and couldn't get it to sink so I took it back to the shop. I wonder if some of these lines have a coating that wear's off after awhile before they work right, like getting the orange stuff off the 40+ when you first use them ?
Mark

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Mark,
I fished the intermediate for only a few days.
It might have started sinking better after more use, but I never gave it a chance to prove itself.

If you decide to give the hover a try, let us know how it goes and tell the fly shop you’ll likely return it if it doesn’t hover....:D
SF

Hey Mark,
I've been fishing the 380gr Titan Intermediate in the Spring for Tiger Muskies. I totally agree with SF in that it DOES sink pretty slowly. I've found that it still sinks, just not as fast as the OBS I had previously. Performance is really really good. Around a couple of months ago, I was playing around with a short sinktip added to it. I ended up just adding 3-3.5' of T-14 onto the end of it. This basically turned everything into a type-2 in how fast it sinks with little to no loss in performance.

Taper-wise, it'll turn over anything and everything.

Cheers!

Thanks Randall, sounds like the intermediate might even be slow enough for what I'm looking for. I'm just starting to see what's out there, sure wish airflow made a 40+ hover (or slow intermediate).

Brian,
Now that you mention this, seems like I remember something about a slow intermediate back when I had the old 40+ (clear intermediate, with the black connector between the head and running line) this would be perfect if I could get one, I'm definitely going to check it out. I'll post if you can still get them.
Thanks buddy, I might not of remembered, damn getting old sucks !
Mark

Darn, just looked it up and appears to be only 6wt and up, would probably be too heavy as I use a 40+ I 5wt and it's on the heavy side, even for my Winston B2MX. But I'm still going keep looking.

Last edited:
I have a sonar titan. The head sinks at 4 ips and the last section is intermediate. To me, it seems like last intermediate section barely sinks. Even if I wait a few minutes while fishing deep, it seems to only be pulled under more than an inch or two when I start retrieving my fly.

Thanks camtheflyman, I just found Wulff has a hover in the ambush series (which I've used before on a switch rod) It might be a good choice as well even tho it has a shorter head then I like ?

Hey Mark,
I've been fishing the 380gr Titan Intermediate in the Spring for Tiger Muskies. I totally agree with SF in that it DOES sink pretty slowly. I've found that it still sinks, just not as fast as the OBS I had previously. Performance is really really good. Around a couple of months ago, I was playing around with a short sinktip added to it. I ended up just adding 3-3.5' of T-14 onto the end of it. This basically turned everything into a type-2 in how fast it sinks with little to no loss in performance.

Taper-wise, it'll turn over anything and everything.

Cheers!
That's perfect for musky! I'm always after a SLOW sink early season so I can fish neutral column and slow.

Mark, the titan was designed originally in concept as a musky line for surface flies. That said it will definitely cast larger patterns really well and small ones like they aren't even there. This line does not roll cast all that well and is sensitive to head length outside the guides. Loop stability is excellent for a line of this length. The 40+ you like is a far better roll/Spey line. The Titan will serve well for overhead. It's a nice line with good build quality.

Latest posts