Trip Report Bonito on fly

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
I actually got to use my fly rod on some bad ass saltwater fish! No more Corbina and flip flop halibut and croaker!

3-8lb Bonita bending my 10wt all the way to the cork! No sign of tuna or yellowtail, but anchored up on the leeward side of the coronados on a near empty charter boat I actually got to bring and utilize a fly rod!! Hahaha these fish are BEESERK. They fight so damn hard it’s a good thing they aren’t 20#
They kinda look like a wahoo crossed with a skipjack. too bad they don’t taste like it :/

Probably won’t ever bring a fly rod on a charter ever again. But 10 people on a 51 person boat..... I had to try.
Rio outbound short fast sink - 4’ 40#fluoro- any flashy sardine fly. TONS of hookups but a lot of the time they just grab it and run with it and don’t swallow it or turn to set the circle hook.Still a blast and I better get some lobster this next week :)

Sea lions doing what they do made the 10wt a bare minimum to actually bring a fish to the boat past them.

Didn’t take many pics cause things were getting slimy in a hurry. Boat kept a few for lobster bait and the rest went back to fight another day.

Attachments

We trolled with a hand line tied to the oar lock of our sailboat in Long Beach when I was a kid. Around early 60’s
We always caught Bonita up to around 10 pounds
They are very fishing tasting and fight like hell
I could never eat one but boy was that fun

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
We trolled with a hand line tied to the oar lock of our sailboat in Long Beach when I was a kid. Around early 60’s
We always caught Bonita up to around 10 pounds
They are very fishing tasting and fight like hell
I could never eat one but boy was that fun
Some people smoke em but I just use them for lobster bait

Latest posts