Trip Report Bonito on fly

para_adams

Wow, takes me back to my childhood. Catching bonita was my #1 joy as a kid. Always told folks up here that a 5 lb bonita would fight harder than a 20 lb king and I'm still thinking that's true. Great story, thanks!

Richard E

Plus they aren’t picky about anything
There’s a post In the forum by a guy making the same claim about trout. Well, we know that not to be true for trout, same for Bonito. Been there, done that.

Yeah, they aren’t picky - until they are.

Fun report, and glad you had a great time! A 6 pound Bonito is decent sized. Fun to see backing once in a while, isn’t it?

Last edited:

Richard E

Are the bonita fish big?
See the pics - not really in the scope of saltwater fishies. They are at the small end of the family of its relatives that include tuna, mackerel, Spanish mackerel, kingfish, and are a smaller version of the somewhat similar skipjack. Where you find skipjack, one often finds bonito, and vice versa.

Last edited:

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
See the pics - not really in the scope of saltwater fishies. They are at the small end of the family of its relatives that include tuna, mackerel, Spanish mackerel, kingfish, and are a smaller version of the somewhat similar skipjack. Where you find skipjack, one often finds bonito, and vice versa.
It’s a quote from a movie- Step Brothers-

Sorry you missed the joke.

stilly stalker

Switch Rod Samurai
There’s a post In the forum by a guy making the same claim about trout. Well, we know that not to be true for trout, same for Bonito. Been there, done that.

Yeah, they aren’t picky - until they are.

Fun report, and glad you had a great time! A 6 pound Bonita is decent sized. Fun to see backing once in s while, isn’t it?
It’s awesome! Then when a sea lion grabs your fish and it REALLY starts going out fast that’s when you start to worry
I say the same thing about bonefish too.
These Bonita weren’t picky in the least. After chasing bluefin around everything seems to be pretty cooperative though

Latest posts