FLY BOXES

I am looking for your recommendations on FLY BOXES.
These will be for everything between midges to streamers.

I like the 2 sided plastic, waterproof models.

ALL input appreciated!

IveofIone

Since you asked for ALL input here is mine. I dislike the clunky 2 sided plastic boxes because of their weight and bulk. And after 67 years of fly fishing I have yet to grasp the significance of a waterproof box for something that is only useful when it is wet. Not sure what I'm missing but waterproof does seem to be a buzzword right now.

I bought into the 2 sided boxes for awhile because I got them on sale but eventually phased them out again. I have gone back to the featherweight Morell boxes and have them in 3 sizes. Comparing 4 of the large Morell models to 4 of the plastic 2 sided models goes like this:

4 Morells full of flies=8.35 oz
4 plastic 2 sided boxes full of flies=22.55oz
4 Morells stacked up=5''
4 plastic 2 sided boxes stacked up=6 1/2''

The large Morell is 1 3/4'' longer than the plastic boxes but the mid size model is exactly the same footprint in width and length but much lighter and much thinner. Then there is the question of capacity. The double sided boxes obviously hold more but at a weight and bulk premium. I had an epiphany about the number of flies I carry this spring when I realized I was going on the water with about 700 flies. Like Direct TV where I have over 150 channels and use maybe 12, I was carrying around flies that had no chance of ever getting tied on a line. I cut out the unknowns and stayed with the known producers and had one of my best big fish years ever.

At the other end of the scale I was on the water this year with a guy that had a chironomid box about the size of a 15'' laptop and double sided! He must have had around 2,000 cronies in there but how the hell he could ever decide which one to fish was beyond me. I had a little box with about 50 cronies in it and we were catching about the same amount of fish. My best guess was that he just loved to tie chironomids.

FinLuver

At the other end of the scale I was on the water this year with a guy that had a chironomid box about the size of a 15'' laptop and double sided! He must have had around 2,000 cronies in there but how the hell he could ever decide which one to fish was beyond me. I had a little box with about 50 cronies in it and we were catching about the same amount of fish. My best guess was that he just loved to tie chironomids.
We are a strange lot [fly fishers/tyers]...now, aren't we... :D

Latest posts