Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Smoking recipe for white fish?

888 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
I just recently got a small smoker a couple of months ago and I am trying to learn how to (successfully) smoke fish. All I have done so far is sunfish and trout, both with different levels of success. This winter I am planning to get some white fish and give it a try, and since I have never eaten whitefish before I would like to ask the forum if there is any special smoking recipe/process for whitefish that you would like to share. Thanks so much in advance!

#5 ·
Dad used a wet brine & apple wood, but alas, I don't recall much more than that other than they were tasty & didn't dry out.

This recipe seems vaguely familiar:
1 gallon water, 1 Cup pickling salt, 1 Cup of Brown sugar, 1/8 Cup Tender quick. We brine 18-24 hours depending on size. Longer for bigger pieces, shorter for smaller pieces. We smoke with apple wood @ 225* for about 3 1/2-4 hours. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. The smoking we do is for trout and salmon pieces. Get yourself a digital thermometer. You want to smoke it just shy of where you want it to come out. 140-155* depending on the size and how you like your fish. Let it come up 5-10* on it;s own by killing the heat source. Another good indication is when the fish starts "milking on the sides". We give it another 20-45 minuets after it starts to "milk".

Good luck!

#14 ·
I don't recall Dad freezing fish before smoking them. with the availability of vacuum sealing technology today, freezing anything is much-improved. I know that when we did freeze fish, they were frozen in blocks of ice, typically inside of a milk carton. All that being said, I don't have a definitive answer to your "one more question," however.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.