Trip Report CALO Tunnys

Dylar

Hi Dylar, I haven't targeted albies in the low country. I've seen them there just 2x, briefly up and down when I've been outside rigged up for and hunting AJ's. Is it an "on purpose" fishery or is it one that you make sure your're ready for just in case?

And yeah, a shitshow does develop at CALO on a couple fall weekends when a bunch of boats show up associated with a couple of internet boards, and when the fleet plays follow the guides. I avoid that and mostly there is plenty of water and fish to do so. Usually everybody plays nice when there's lots of fish/bait, not so much when they're scarce and fish show at the inlet.

Slimy
If you want to put in the time to find the birds and the bait, and run around playing whack-a-mole with the schools as they pop up, you can usually make it happen. It's just that a lot of the year, there's cooler stuff to chase out there (poons, sharks, aj's and jc's, cobia etc), so they're usually more fall back position than the main game.

SilverFly

If you want to put in the time to find the birds and the bait, and run around playing whack-a-mole with the schools as they pop up, you can usually make it happen
Pretty good description of albacore fishing out here in in Oregon and Washington. At least when things are are firing on all cylinders. Yeah, that's something I want to put time into. Playing whack-a-mole with birds, bait and turbo-charged pelagic predators is one of my absolute favorite things - ever. Almost better than sex.

BTW, not sure how fishing back east responds to El Nino, but it looks like another is building for this coming summer. Probably a good year to look offshore here in PNW.

SilverFly

That boat would get it done SF. Start working "Uncle Kenny" now!
No need to work Uncle Kenny. They were out this summer for our daughter's wedding. I tried getting him out for albacore but the forecast changed and we were stuck inshore. At least he saw some great scenery and caught some nice rockfish and lings. Family vacation plans were also being tossed around for renting a house on the Florida Gulf coast. A couple of locations were discussed but nothing set in stone. I'm sure the Atlantic coast is an option. Possibly next Fall.

Playing whack-a-mole with birds, bait and turbo-charged pelagic predators is one of my absolute favorite things - ever. Almost better than sex.

BTW, not sure how fishing back east responds to El Nino, but it looks like another is building for this coming summer. Probably a good year to look offshore here in PNW.
My favorite as well. Spec'd out and had the boat built for just this game...... My oldest lives in Seattle. May have to sample the PNW fishery if it happens next summer! If you know of guides who do this "on purpose" could you PM me a recommendation or two SF?

SilverFly

My favorite as well. Spec'd out and had the boat built for just this game...... My oldest lives in Seattle. May have to sample the PNW fishery if it happens next summer! If you know of guides who do this "on purpose" could you PM me a recommendation or two SF?
Sent you a short novel on the subject :) .

Latest posts