Idaho Closes Steelhead Season

BDD

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/fish-a..._Q_AXGFApuJe-go3ppohNlyI9GsdmbFudy0yXJ7JvI0KA

I did not see this posted yet. Better hurry if you want a shot at catching one of the 52,000 steelhead that passed over Lower Granite, heading to Idaho. On top of a myriad of conditions adversely affecting steelhead returns, evidently not having the proper paperwork in place is one more obstacle that will keep you off the water this year, if the numbers (or lack thereof) didn't already stop you. Glad I was able to make it up north again this year to get my steelhead catching fix for the year...can't really rely on WA and now ID to make it happen for you.

Last edited:

jersey

livin' the dream
Threatened lawsuit forces a Govt agency into a position... Anyone notice CA is burning, again, because of similar circumstances?

Rob Allen

I don't think that closing down sport fisheries helps recover depressed stocks but as a general rule i am opposed to winter/spring fisheries for summer steelhead. Not that i want them closed i just think intentionally fishing for dark fish is tacky, just like salmon fishing in the great lakes.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
A couple of observations during a quick read through.

An accompanying letter from the organizations outlined several fishery restrictions the department should implement as an alternative to litigation. The additional restrictions the groups proposed included no fishing with bait, additional barbless hook restrictions, prohibition of removal of wild steelhead from the water, prohibition of fishing from watercraft and, complete closure of the steelhead fishery after January 1.

Department staff met with the organizations representatives and failed to reach an agreement. Most of the restrictions proposed would result in a disproportionate loss of angling opportunity for a particular user group, while preserving fishing opportunity for another.

The closure of Idaho’s steelhead fisheries is not based on low steelhead returns but is a direct result of the threat of a lawsuit resulting from an expired federal permit.

Once again the slow bureaucracy of the feds (8 years! LOL! ) provides some low hanging fruit for some groups to impose their will on others. Always remember; Non-profit is their tax status and not their business model.

I don't think that closing down sport fisheries helps recover depressed stocks but as a general rule i am opposed to winter/spring fisheries for summer steelhead. Not that i want them closed i just think intentionally fishing for dark fish is tacky, just like salmon fishing in the great lakes.
Can you explain your conclusion that Great Lakes salmon fishing is "tacky"?

Latest posts