Idaho Closes Steelhead Season

All the pictures you see are nasty old dark chinook that looks like they came right off the redds or even post spawn. I have never seen a picture of a great lakes trib salmon that looked like fair game. If it exists people don't talk about it.
I’ve seen some REALLY nice looking chinook from that area. Not dimes, but pretty fuckin nice looking fish. You’re right. They don’t talk much about it. They exist though.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/fish-a..._Q_AXGFApuJe-go3ppohNlyI9GsdmbFudy0yXJ7JvI0KA

I did not see this posted yet. Better hurry if you want a shot at catching one of the 52,000 steelhead that passed over Lower Granite, heading to Idaho. On top of a myriad of conditions adversely affecting steelhead returns, evidently not having the proper paperwork in place is one more obstacle that will keep you off the water this year, if the numbers (or lack thereof) didn't already stop you. Glad I was able to make it up north again this year to get my steelhead catching fix for the year...can't really rely on WA and now ID to make it happen for you.
Bear in mind that of those 52,000 only a small percentage are Clearwater fish.

jersey

livin' the dream
Google is your friend, read away. Obviously, dump the newer stuff to minimize recent “news” and look around for older articles. It’s interesting to see how some of our processes and procedures work. Unintended consequences.

Some searches to wet the appetite:
environmental lawsuit and forest fires ca
forest management and lawsuit
Etc..

All the pictures you see are nasty old dark chinook that looks like they came right off the redds or even post spawn. I have never seen a picture of a great lakes trib salmon that looked like fair game. If it exists people don't talk about it.
I am from western NY and have seen dime bright salmon and steelhead. These fish are "talked about" all the time but by gear fishermen fishing the lakes and river mouths. If you are relying on fly fishing publications your view would be distorted/biased.

cms829

I am from western NY and have seen dime bright salmon and steelhead. These fish are "talked about" all the time but by gear fishermen fishing the lakes and river mouths. If you are relying on fly fishing publications your view would be distorted/biased.
Where abouts? I have family outside of Pulaski and consider the area my second home. I fish the Tribs almost every weekend during the winter, long after mostly everyone has gone home.

I've gotten some dime bright steelhead on the spey rod pretty far upriver even in the middle of the winter...and sure you can get some fresh kings at the DSR or the first few miles. But unless these fish are shooting up fast for some reason, the majority are certainly not table fare. And the majority you see on stringers are fish I wouldn't feed to my dog.

My opinion is that the Great Lakes tribs are decades behind other areas of the world regarding regulation and management. For one - it is just grossly overcrowded during the king season. Its great for the economy, but the river and the environment suffer enormously. At the end of the king season the damn river banks look like garbage dumps at the public access points. And two - There needs to be a tighter limit on keeping steelhead. A catch and release only during the spawning season may have a great impact on the fishery.

And finally - There needs to be some type of limit on guides. It has become downright disgusting how many guides and boats are on that river. And then they bitch and give private boaters a hard time. Its terrible theyve allowed it to get to this point. Any Joe Schmo with a boat is now a "guide" up there.

Rant over. Regarding the Idaho season - while it sucks, it can only be a good thing for the future of the fishery and population.

Latest posts