Thanksgiving Eats

Skip Enge

I always do turkey...I water smoke it. I marinade the bird for 12 to 20 hours...It blows minds.
I have a rough recipe that changes:
a couple bottles of cheap white port
or maybe a 3 buck Chuck's pinot grigio and a reisling
I pan saute in olive oil a sheet ton of our fresh sage , rosemary and maybe fall dug garlic
some orange juice...some sea salt 1/4 cup or so
might toss in a bit of my Capt'n Insano sauce . and BBQ...
The emptied brine goes in the water smoker tray below the tethered and the coals
This year 17 lbs...I rub with olive oil
put the bird in and about half way through...maybe 2-2.5 hours
start putting in the vine maple for smoke...
the last hour and a half I baste with squeezed limes every 20 minutes or so
that is my loosely defined recipe...
BTW...white port is thee sheet...but it is hard to find anymore

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
My holiday season food fest kicked off last night ( we always start the week before Thanksgiving ), with a big batch of my Cioppino...from now on its game on every week till January.
Nothing like a big bowl of Cioppino and a thick slice of warm bread to sop up all the goodness that is Cioppino.... with a nice Pinot Noir from Oregon.

The best part of the holiday season is food, friends, football and various adult beverages.

:)

Skip Enge

Pork Loin en creut'(covered in pate brisee') this weekend with a huckleberry reduction , braised parsnips and scalloped potatoes . and an Idiot's Grace Primitivo

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I'm feeling pretty good. I wouldn't eat any of what your all making. I have to live with what the granddaughter dreams up for the Bird. Plus I eat very little anymore. I guess I'm afraid of getting fat.

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Dear Skip,

Tomorrow I, with my wife will host our annual Fakesgiving celebration at our house in Bothell, Washington. I would like to officially invite you to join us. Please bring the smoker. We have the 15 pound turkey, fresh and ready.

Sincerely,

Irafly

I always do turkey...I water smoke it. I marinade the bird for 12 to 20 hours...It blows minds.
I have a rough recipe that changes:
a couple bottles of cheap white port
or maybe a 3 buck Chuck's pinot grigio and a reisling
I pan saute in olive oil a sheet ton of our fresh sage , rosemary and maybe fall dug garlic
some orange juice...some sea salt 1/4 cup or so
might toss in a bit of my Capt'n Insano sauce . and BBQ...
The emptied brine goes in the water smoker tray below the tethered and the coals
This year 17 lbs...I rub with olive oil
put the bird in and about half way through...maybe 2-2.5 hours
start putting in the vine maple for smoke...
the last hour and a half I baste with squeezed limes every 20 minutes or so
that is my loosely defined recipe...
BTW...white port is thee sheet...but it is hard to find anymore
Very interesting. Are you convinced the brine in the water tray adds flavor? How? Magic flavor steam? ;)Also does the lime flavor get in the meat or is it basically a turkey skin enhancer? I love crisp roast turkey skin but the skin on turkeys I have smoked is rubbery and less tasty to me. Thanks for sharing this; it’s pretty unconventional and I like that at Thanksgiving sometimes.

Skip Enge

Very interesting. Are you convinced the brine in the water tray adds flavor? How? Magic flavor steam? ;)Also does the lime flavor get in the meat or is it basically a turkey skin enhancer? I love crisp roast turkey skin but the skin on turkeys I have smoked is rubbery and less tasty to me. Thanks for sharing this; it’s pretty unconventional and I like that at Thanksgiving sometimes.
the lime caramelizes on the skin added a bit of tart tang with that smoke ring the wine takes the herbs and citrus into the meat to add a bit of depth...always smoky(green vine maple branches for me) a hint of sweet...been doing this for 30 years ish...on my 3rd water smoker...just a brinkman...and good charcoal with no fuel starter...

tyeoneon

How about some good, I mean really good, eggnog!?? It's easy, and nobody turns it down!
Start with 12 egg yolks
Add 1 pound of granulated sugar
Add 1 fifth of good bourbon whiskey-I use Jack Daniels
Stir it together completely and set in a cool place, covered, for 48 hours. No salmonella here, as the whiskey takes care of that issue.
When you're ready to serve, whip 1/2 gallon of whipping cream, not whipped cream, until it just begins to set (thicken). Fold in the whiskey and egg mixture, add some nutmeg to taste, and designate a driver! A few years back, we let our pooch lick the cups (This was on Christmas eve,) and he didn't get out of his bed until 2PM on Christmas day. Enjoy! turkey fly.jpg

How about some good, I mean really good, eggnog!?? It's easy, and nobody turns it down!
Start with 12 egg yolks
Add 1 pound of granulated sugar
Add 1 fifth of good bourbon whiskey-I use Jack Daniels
Stir it together completely and set in a cool place, covered, for 48 hours. No salmonella here, as the whiskey takes care of that issue.
When you're ready to serve, whip 1/2 gallon of whipping cream, not whipped cream, until it just begins to set (thicken). Fold in the whiskey and egg mixture, add some nutmeg to taste, and designate a driver! A few years back, we let our pooch lick the cups (This was on Christmas eve,) and he didn't get out of his bed until 2PM on Christmas day. Enjoy! View attachment 183833

I do something similar but store it in the back of the fridge for 3-4 months before using. The long wait gives a very silky denaturing of the egg albumin. The high alcohol sterilizes the mix. It's better if you age it.

Latest posts