“Noob questions”

Hey guys. I’m not only new here, but pretty new to fly fishing in general. My better half got me a 5wt fly rod in August for my birthday. And I’m hooked... I may never use standard gear again. But I’m wanting to expand and get a fly rod for fishing bigger fish, salmon and steelhead would Be almost entirely what this new pole would be after. I’m in southwest Washington, and would mostly be fishing waters from like the cowlitz put to the Yakima. Nothing saltwater. I’ve had some people say go Spey rod, while others have said go switch. I’ve had some guys say 7wt is plenty for most salmon and steelies in Washington, while others say 8 or 9 wt would be better.

Suggestions and or opinions? As well as brands? I would like to keep the whole set up under $500 if at all possible(I say this because my buddy is trying to get me to spend some serious coin on a set up like his... and don’t get me wrong it’s a really nice set up... but I got kids, and while why better half supports what I do, she may strangle me if I spend close to a grand on a fly rod setup.

Thanks guys

Skip Enge

I used to fish a 7 wt on the Kalama...a st Croix...I later picked up a Loomis 9wt...I got tired of having my arse handed to me when I hooked chinook...Yeah I used to fish the kalama a lot...

Skip Enge

Look flossing a fish happens...so does foul hooking in a pod of fish in the tail end of a deep run...I once unknowingly foul hooked a big chinook mid dorsal...an hour and a half later I found out...had to switch arms a bunch... it was on my 7 wt...if you are keying on salmon...shit happens ...so I finally decided not to be under gunned

Look flossing a fish happens...so does foul hooking in a pod of fish in the tail end of a deep run...I once unknowingly foul hooked a big chinook mid dorsal...an hour and a half later I found out...had to switch arms a bunch... it was on my 7 wt...if you are keying on salmon...shit happens ...so I finally decided not to be under gunned
That makes sense

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
Reds is a great source and can certainly help you out and get you some very good equipment.

Depending on how far south you are, Oregon will save you sales tax.

I would tend to push you to a combo, they can save some $’s.

I wish you the best in your quest(s).

Reds is a great source and can certainly help you out and get you some very good equipment.

Depending on how far south you are, Oregon will save you sales tax.

I would tend to push you to a combo, they can save some $’s.

I wish you the best in your quest(s).
I’m in camas. Not far from the or border. Any specific shops you would suggest?

Latest posts