“Noob questions”

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
For Oregon, I like the Gorge Fly Shop.
Always quick shipping and smooth transactions the few times I've used their services.
SF

Hi Puddles
Welcome aboard mate.
A few years back I thought I would get into swinging for salmon and steel head with a two hander, so I bought a TFO 8/9 136 4DC Deer Creek Series. That means the rod is a 8/9 wt that is 13' 6", 4 piece with rod tube. I have a 9/11 TFO Prism reel that goes with it, backed and lined.
I bought the rod used from one of our members, the reel is new with box and info sheet.
I have never gotten the setup wet.
I think I gave two hundred for the rod and the line that came with it.
If this is interesting to you. I would sell you the set up for $225.00.
PM me and we can make some arrangements

Hi Puddles
Welcome aboard mate.
A few years back I thought I would get into swinging for salmon and steel head with a two hander, so I bought a TFO 8/9 136 4DC Deer Creek Series. That means the rod is a 8/9 wt that is 13' 6", 4 piece with rod tube. I have a 9/11 TFO Prism reel that goes with it, backed and lined.
I bought the rod used from one of our members, the reel is new with box and info sheet.
I have never gotten the setup wet.
I think I gave two hundred for the rod and the line that came with it.
If this is interesting to you. I would sell you the set up for $225.00.
PM me and we can make some arrangements
Let me do some digging but for that price I’m definitely interested!!!!!

I didn't read everybody's responses. With that in mind I would say go with an 8 weight switch rod. You can fish for steelhead, salmon, Bass, saltwater. It covers a wide array of ground. If you're throwing heavy flies with sink tips go for a Skagit shooting head. If you're fishing light flies go with a Scandi. The most important thing... Have fun.

There is no one rod that will cover every type fishing. The advice given here is pretty solid but as you try out different types of fishing, you'll adjust your preferences and thus buy different equipment. That is why many of us have multiple set-ups. I've been at it for more than 30 years and have acquired numerous rods, reels, and lines as well as thousands of flies. Trouble is I find something new to try or flies to tie and the collection continues to grow in one form or another. For fresh water I'd get a 5 wt., for salt an 8 wt., and I'd get a 7 wt. switch or spey rod for summer steelhead and some winter fishing.

Then, of course, there are tuna, bonefish, etc., etc., and so it goes.:eek:

Limnos

I was looking at a echo rod the other day. They good?
I love Echo rods. I’ve got 4 of them. Used to be a Sage guy. Bang for buck Echo makes one of the best on the market, and the compnay is located in Vancoiver, WA, which makes it nice if you break a tip.

6/7 wt spey rods are great summer steelhead sticks. 8 wt spey rods are great winter steelhead sticks. I generally use my 9 wt single handed rod for tossing flies at at salmon. I’d get an 8 wt spey if you’re only going to get one rod. Don’t get a switch as your first salmon/steelhead rod. They’re great for smaller coastal rivers.

Limnos

I’m in camas. Not far from the or border. Any specific shops you would suggest?
Check out The Portland Fly Shop. Jason will give you the run down on rods, reels and other stuff. Northwest Fly Fishing Outfitters is an old staple too. Farther south in Westlynn you’ve got Royal Treatment Fly Shop. All are fantastic. I frequent The Portland Fly Shop because....well....I live in Portland proper.

PM me. I’d be happy to show you the basics on casting a spey. I’m not the best, but I’m good enough to catch fish.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Puddles, there are a lot of good suggestions here. But buy what you can afford. After all it's you that will be using it. What rod works for one doesn't work for others. I've been lucky as to what I buy or trade for. I tried Spey rod fishing and it didn't take on me so I went back to a single hander. I sold my spey rod set up and bought a set of tires for my car.

I love Echo rods. I’ve got 4 of them. Used to be a Sage guy. Bang for buck Echo makes one of the best on the market, and the compnay is located in Vancoiver, WA, which makes it nice if you break a tip.

6/7 wt spey rods are great summer steelhead sticks. 8 wt spey rods are great winter steelhead sticks. I generally use my 9 wt single handed rod for tossing flies at at salmon. I’d get an 8 wt spey if you’re only going to get one rod. Don’t get a switch as your first salmon/steelhead rod. They’re great for smaller coastal rivers.
I disagree- I think an 8 spey is too much rod for most of the non OP applications most of the time.

I actually think a 7 switch is about the most versatile anadromous rod you can get. I can’t say enough good things. Fighting fish is still enjoyable, learning how to tail your own fish is still easy-ish, you can still effectively fish 90% of the water the spey guys can reach, and you can get in tighter to overhanging shrubbery. I’ve caught lots of fish with mine now and I really really like it.
I prefer catching fish on a switch to a spey enough to where I will probably get a heavier and lighter switch in lieu of any spey rods any time soon

Limnos

I disagree- I think an 8 spey is too much rod for most of the non OP applications most of the time.

I actually think a 7 switch is about the most versatile anadromous rod you can get. I can’t say enough good things. Fighting fish is still enjoyable, learning how to tail your own fish is still easy-ish, you can still effectively fish 90% of the water the spey guys can reach, and you can get in tighter to overhanging shrubbery. I’ve caught lots of fish with mine now and I really really like it.
I prefer catching fish on a switch to a spey enough to where I will probably get a heavier and lighter switch in lieu of any spey rods any time soon
We’ve all got our preferences and opinions. I don’t think switch rods are a good place for a beginner to start. I started spey casting with a switch rod, and when I finally casted a spey rod, I was blown away by how much easier it was to cast. My thinking...if you want to spey cast, get a spey rod.

We’ve all got our preferences and opinions. I don’t think switch rods are a good place for a beginner to start. I started spey casting with a switch rod, and when I finally casted a spey rod, I was blown away by how much easier it was to cast. My thinking...if you want to spey cast, get a spey rod.
I see it from that end, for sure. Switch rods are not the best tool to learn your casting on

I might recommend a reel you can palm. You can often find a good Hardy Marquis Salmon or something similar for not too much. I've landed quite a few with one of those. Any other reel suggestions for Puddles?

Latest posts