“Noob questions”

Buzzy

For Oregon, I like the Gorge Fly Shop.
Always quick shipping and smooth transactions the few times I've used their services.
SF
Ditto on the Gorge Fly Shop - check out their rod selections; with some of the rods they add a fly line at no additional cost. But: go to whatever shop you buy from and test cast rods. The Gorge shop will gladly string rods up and take you out - I'm pretty sure most fly shops will do this. You won't get this service from big box stores.

good luck, a couple weeks or months or years from now you'll be adding another rod to your quiver.

Salmo_g

Hey guys. I’m not only new here, but pretty new to fly fishing in general. . . . But I’m wanting to expand and get a fly rod for fishing bigger fish, salmon and steelhead . . .

I would like to keep the whole set up under $500 . . .
You want to take up fly fishing for steelhead? You'd be best off to take that $500 and spend it on some appointments with a psychologist for analysis and hopefully be cured of this deranged desire.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Steelhead used to be the fish of 1000 casts. But now it's turning into 10,000 casts. Steelhead are getting less and lesser everyday. I got a few on the fly. But I moved to Butte, Montana and live now in Fly fishing hell.
To go fish from here I have to drive over a pass of some kind to get to good water. And most here know how I feel about driving up and over a pass. It ain't happening unless I get desperate.

i have 4 rods that I use for steelhead

7wt Sage Pulse Switch -11’4”
My swingin rod. I fucking love this rod

8wt Moonshine Midnight Special - 9’
My nymphing from a bot rod AND I have a single hand spey set up for it too. Love the Moonshine rods. Great moderate action with lots of feel

6wt Sage Xi3 - 9’
My single hand spey summer rod. Don’t use it much but it’s FUN, and a nice way to get more use from my beach 6wt

8wt Echo TR - 13’6”
This beast is too much rod for almost every application I fish. This is a rod for throwing full chickens and pure lead sink tips. It’s a broomstick.

a 6wt switch / spey and an 8wt switch will round out my quiver nicely

Limnos

i have 4 rods that I use for steelhead

7wt Sage Pulse Switch -11’4”
My swingin rod. I fucking love this rod

8wt Moonshine Midnight Special - 9’
My nymphing from a bot rod AND I have a single hand spey set up for it too. Love the Moonshine rods. Great moderate action with lots of feel

6wt Sage Xi3 - 9’
My single hand spey summer rod. Don’t use it much but it’s FUN, and a nice way to get more use from my beach 6wt

8wt Echo TR - 13’6”
This beast is too much rod for almost every application I fish. This is a rod for throwing full chickens and pure lead sink tips. It’s a broomstick.

a 6wt switch / spey and an 8wt switch will round out my quiver nicely
I’ve always been curious about Moonshine rods. They advertise a ton on social media. They look like nice rods and it sounds like they also perform.

jamma

I’m in camas. Not far from the or border. Any specific shops you would suggest?
River City Fly shop is the only dedicated fly shop I know of in Portland,it's on Scholl's Ferry road in Tigard.There's some others but they mostly cater to the yuppies and steelheaders.The Fly Shop in Welches is a good one,too.I was born in Camas myself.It was sad when Kaufmann's went under.

River City Fly shop is the only dedicated fly shop I know of in Portland,it's on Scholl's Ferry road in Tigard.There's some others but they mostly cater to the yuppies and steelheaders.The Fly Shop in Welches is a good one,too.I was born in Camas myself.It was sad when Kaufmann's went under.
Kaufmann’s? Was that in that strip mall on 164th? I’m not originally from here. Been here off and on since 08.

And I’ll have to check out that place too. I need tying supplies and Sportsmans is kinda limited.

Limnos

Kaufmann’s? Was that in that strip mall on 164th? I’m not originally from here. Been here off and on since 08.

And I’ll have to check out that place too. I need tying supplies and Sportsmans is kinda limited.
It was a great shop in Tigard Oregon that closed maybe 10 years or so ago (maybe more). I believe the owner (Joel La Follette) of Royal Treatment Fly Shop was part owner of Kaufmanns Streamborn, or had something to do with it. It’s long gone, tho. There was once a shop in downtown Portland too, but that also closed many years back. Now it’s Portland Fly Shop, Northwest Fly Fishing Outfitters, and River City.

Skip Enge

Kaufman's went under quite some time ago...River City is a nice shop...packed with stuff...I used to have some paintings I consigned there...like I said packed shop so no one seemed to see them...they were small...

Kaufman's went under quite some time ago...River City is a nice shop...packed with stuff...I used to have some paintings I consigned there...like I said packed shop so no one seemed to see them...they were small...
I’ll have to make a trip over there just to look around.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Another option if you don’t mind ordering supplies online is Waters West out of Port Angeles, WA.
Good fast service, great selection and prices and they won’t gouge you on shipping.

It’s like Costco for me whenever I’m in the area.
I never get out of there without spend a c-note.
SF