“Noob questions”

Limnos

Another option if you don’t mind ordering supplies online is Waters West out of Port Angeles, WA.
Good fast service, great selection and prices and they won’t gouge you on shipping.

It’s like Costco for me whenever I’m in the area.
I never get out of there without spend a c-note.
SF
Buy local.

I have the Echo 7wt 13ft spey rod. Love it. Inexpensive bought the echo reel to go with it. Skagit shooting head works great. I suggest to get with a club to show you the in and outs of casting. Sometimes they will have an open event on the water where you can test out the equipment. I live up north near Bellingham and bought my gear at Confluence Fly shop great guys know their stuff.
K

Puddles, We don't call a fly rod a pole. A pole is something you tie a tether ball to.
HAHA! I had a crab boat skipper tell me in my early days of pulling pots up north that "Rope is for cowboys. Line is for fishing". Works well for both! I got a kick out of that Old Man! To the OP, go basic till you hook up with someone who can work you through the early kinks. Then define where you want to go. I caught many steelhead on the South Fork of the Toutle and other SW streams with just a floating line and a 9-ft 7wt rod in the early 90's. Kinda fiddled my way through it from there, but folks were figuring it out for me as it went on! Just have fun.

Another option if you don’t mind ordering supplies online is Waters West out of Port Angeles, WA.
Good fast service, great selection and prices and they won’t gouge you on shipping.

It’s like Costco for me whenever I’m in the area.
I never get out of there without spend a c-note.
SF
Loooooove Waters West. Shit I’m in So Cal and I still order my stuff from them

Kaufmann’s? Was that in that strip mall on 164th? I’m not originally from here. Been here off and on since 08.

And I’ll have to check out that place too. I need tying supplies and Sportsmans is kinda limited.
Roll to lost creek fly shop in onalaska. Tell Mike that Chromers sent you. He will outfit you proper and you can test stuff on the casting pond

Old406Kid

Steelhead used to be the fish of 1000 casts. But now it's turning into 10,000 casts. Steelhead are getting less and lesser everyday. I got a few on the fly. But I moved to Butte, Montana and live now in Fly fishing hell.
To go fish from here I have to drive over a pass of some kind to get to good water. And most here know how I feel about driving up and over a pass. It ain't happening unless I get desperate.
Divide

Shad

The first choice you need to make is how you want to fish for said salmon and steelhead. If you want to swing for them, you want a Spey rod. If you want to strip streamers (my favorite for coho), You'll want a one-hander. The Echo OHS looks like a good attempt at providing both experiences. If you can only buy one....

The first choice you need to make is how you want to fish for said salmon and steelhead. If you want to swing for them, you want a Spey rod. If you want to strip streamers (my favorite for coho), You'll want a one-hander. The Echo OHS looks like a good attempt at providing both experiences. If you can only buy one....
Again why I love my switch 7 for anadromous work.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
That's the Big Hole. It's never treated me good. It takes my flies and doesn't give anything in return. Besides it's big water and I don't like big Skinny water. I'm more happy with small skinny water.

II didn't do much exploring last year. Will be sure to get out and do more next year. I plan on going up into the area of the Big Hole head waters. Lots of smaller skinny water over that way..

Shad summed it up pretty well. You need to figure out your preferred method or what method the rivers you primarily fish best accommodate. If you're gonna be swinging get a 12-13ft 7 or 8wt. If you're gonna be stripping or nymphing get a 9ft 8wt. I was in a similar position when I started fishing for anadromous fish and went for the jack of all trades route and got a 6/7 switch. Retrospectively, I think I would've been better off just starting with a spey rod. Easier tool to learn to spey cast with, better for fishing larger rivers, and forces you to focus on one method.