Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

“Noob questions”

5K views 70 replies 31 participants last post by  Skip Enge 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I’m not only new here, but pretty new to fly fishing in general. My better half got me a 5wt fly rod in August for my birthday. And I’m hooked... I may never use standard gear again. But I’m wanting to expand and get a fly rod for fishing bigger fish, salmon and steelhead would Be almost entirely what this new pole would be after. I’m in southwest Washington, and would mostly be fishing waters from like the cowlitz put to the Yakima. Nothing saltwater. I’ve had some people say go Spey rod, while others have said go switch. I’ve had some guys say 7wt is plenty for most salmon and steelies in Washington, while others say 8 or 9 wt would be better.

Suggestions and or opinions? As well as brands? I would like to keep the whole set up under $500 if at all possible(I say this because my buddy is trying to get me to spend some serious coin on a set up like his... and don’t get me wrong it’s a really nice set up... but I got kids, and while why better half supports what I do, she may strangle me if I spend close to a grand on a fly rod setup.

Thanks guys

#3 ·
Look flossing a fish happens...so does foul hooking in a pod of fish in the tail end of a deep run...I once unknowingly foul hooked a big chinook mid dorsal...an hour and a half later I found out...had to switch arms a bunch... it was on my 7 wt...if you are keying on salmon...shit happens ...so I finally decided not to be under gunned

#49 ·
HAHA! I had a crab boat skipper tell me in my early days of pulling pots up north that "Rope is for cowboys. Line is for fishing". Works well for both! I got a kick out of that Old Man! To the OP, go basic till you hook up with someone who can work you through the early kinks. Then define where you want to go. I caught many steelhead on the South Fork of the Toutle and other SW streams with just a floating line and a 9-ft 7wt rod in the early 90's. Kinda fiddled my way through it from there, but folks were figuring it out for me as it went on! Just have fun.

#14 ·
Reds is a great source and can certainly help you out and get you some very good equipment.

Depending on how far south you are, Oregon will save you sales tax.

I would tend to push you to a combo, they can save some $'s.

I wish you the best in your quest(s).
I'm in camas. Not far from the or border. Any specific shops you would suggest?

#31 ·
Ditto on the Gorge Fly Shop - check out their rod selections; with some of the rods they add a fly line at no additional cost. But: go to whatever shop you buy from and test cast rods. The Gorge shop will gladly string rods up and take you out - I'm pretty sure most fly shops will do this. You won't get this service from big box stores.

good luck, a couple weeks or months or years from now you'll be adding another rod to your quiver.

#18 ·
Hi Puddles
Welcome aboard mate.
A few years back I thought I would get into swinging for salmon and steel head with a two hander, so I bought a TFO 8/9 136 4DC Deer Creek Series. That means the rod is a 8/9 wt that is 13' 6", 4 piece with rod tube. I have a 9/11 TFO Prism reel that goes with it, backed and lined.
I bought the rod used from one of our members, the reel is new with box and info sheet.
I have never gotten the setup wet.
I think I gave two hundred for the rod and the line that came with it.
If this is interesting to you. I would sell you the set up for $225.00.
PM me and we can make some arrangements

#22 ·
I didn't read everybody's responses. With that in mind I would say go with an 8 weight switch rod. You can fish for steelhead, salmon, Bass, saltwater. It covers a wide array of ground. If you're throwing heavy flies with sink tips go for a Skagit shooting head. If you're fishing light flies go with a Scandi. The most important thing... Have fun.

#23 ·
There is no one rod that will cover every type fishing. The advice given here is pretty solid but as you try out different types of fishing, you'll adjust your preferences and thus buy different equipment. That is why many of us have multiple set-ups. I've been at it for more than 30 years and have acquired numerous rods, reels, and lines as well as thousands of flies. Trouble is I find something new to try or flies to tie and the collection continues to grow in one form or another. For fresh water I'd get a 5 wt., for salt an 8 wt., and I'd get a 7 wt. switch or spey rod for summer steelhead and some winter fishing.

Then, of course, there are tuna, bonefish, etc., etc., and so it goes.:eek:

#26 ·
Puddles, there are a lot of good suggestions here. But buy what you can afford. After all it's you that will be using it. What rod works for one doesn't work for others. I've been lucky as to what I buy or trade for. I tried Spey rod fishing and it didn't take on me so I went back to a single hander. I sold my spey rod set up and bought a set of tires for my car.

#32 ·
Hey guys. I'm not only new here, but pretty new to fly fishing in general. . . . But I'm wanting to expand and get a fly rod for fishing bigger fish, salmon and steelhead . . .

I would like to keep the whole set up under $500 . . .
You want to take up fly fishing for steelhead? You'd be best off to take that $500 and spend it on some appointments with a psychologist for analysis and hopefully be cured of this deranged desire.

#33 ·
Steelhead used to be the fish of 1000 casts. But now it's turning into 10,000 casts. Steelhead are getting less and lesser everyday. I got a few on the fly. But I moved to Butte, Montana and live now in Fly fishing hell.
To go fish from here I have to drive over a pass of some kind to get to good water. And most here know how I feel about driving up and over a pass. It ain't happening unless I get desperate.

#53 ·
Steelhead used to be the fish of 1000 casts. But now it's turning into 10,000 casts. Steelhead are getting less and lesser everyday. I got a few on the fly. But I moved to Butte, Montana and live now in Fly fishing hell.
To go fish from here I have to drive over a pass of some kind to get to good water. And most here know how I feel about driving up and over a pass. It ain't happening unless I get desperate.
Divide

#34 ·
i have 4 rods that I use for steelhead

7wt Sage Pulse Switch -11’4”
My swingin rod. I fucking love this rod

8wt Moonshine Midnight Special - 9’
My nymphing from a bot rod AND I have a single hand spey set up for it too. Love the Moonshine rods. Great moderate action with lots of feel

6wt Sage Xi3 - 9’
My single hand spey summer rod. Don’t use it much but it’s FUN, and a nice way to get more use from my beach 6wt

8wt Echo TR - 13’6”
This beast is too much rod for almost every application I fish. This is a rod for throwing full chickens and pure lead sink tips. It’s a broomstick.

a 6wt switch / spey and an 8wt switch will round out my quiver nicely

#35 ·
i have 4 rods that I use for steelhead

7wt Sage Pulse Switch -11'4"
My swingin rod. I fucking love this rod

8wt Moonshine Midnight Special - 9'
My nymphing from a bot rod AND I have a single hand spey set up for it too. Love the Moonshine rods. Great moderate action with lots of feel

6wt Sage Xi3 - 9'
My single hand spey summer rod. Don't use it much but it's FUN, and a nice way to get more use from my beach 6wt

8wt Echo TR - 13'6"
This beast is too much rod for almost every application I fish. This is a rod for throwing full chickens and pure lead sink tips. It's a broomstick.

a 6wt switch / spey and an 8wt switch will round out my quiver nicely
I've always been curious about Moonshine rods. They advertise a ton on social media. They look like nice rods and it sounds like they also perform.

#45 ·
Another option if you don’t mind ordering supplies online is Waters West out of Port Angeles, WA.
Good fast service, great selection and prices and they won’t gouge you on shipping.

It’s like Costco for me whenever I’m in the area.
I never get out of there without spend a c-note.
SF

#48 ·
I have the Echo 7wt 13ft spey rod. Love it. Inexpensive bought the echo reel to go with it. Skagit shooting head works great. I suggest to get with a club to show you the in and outs of casting. Sometimes they will have an open event on the water where you can test out the equipment. I live up north near Bellingham and bought my gear at Confluence Fly shop great guys know their stuff.
K

#58 ·
Shad summed it up pretty well. You need to figure out your preferred method or what method the rivers you primarily fish best accommodate. If you're gonna be swinging get a 12-13ft 7 or 8wt. If you're gonna be stripping or nymphing get a 9ft 8wt. I was in a similar position when I started fishing for anadromous fish and went for the jack of all trades route and got a 6/7 switch. Retrospectively, I think I would've been better off just starting with a spey rod. Easier tool to learn to spey cast with, better for fishing larger rivers, and forces you to focus on one method.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.