Jackson Hole in late January - options?

Always the Snake. There’s a parking lot at the Wilson bridge on the town side. A walking path will take you to some decent water. I fished it a couple days ago. Ice in the guides, a whitefish party, and a couple of cuttys. It was beautiful but to be honest, if you have the opportunity to ski, you should probably do that instead.

cms829

Always the Snake. There’s a parking lot at the Wilson bridge on the town side. A walking path will take you to some decent water. I fished it a couple days ago. Ice in the guides, a whitefish party, and a couple of cuttys. It was beautiful but to be honest, if you have the opportunity to ski, you should probably do that instead.
I was figuring the snake would be my best option. A lot closer than the Henrys Fork too. Though it is going to be hard to pass up a chance just to see the Henry's fork. I've heard so much about it (in the normal fishing season anyway).

Man it looks like a WIDE river in that area of the Wilson bridge. Dang!

The upper Bighorn and the upper north Platte are both excellent tail waters, and great floats I'm told, there should some some spots for wading as well. I'd think they are about the closest to Jackson without going over a pass or a closed for the winter highway. I wish I could tell you more about where to fish on them beside hiring a guide.

Last edited:
It’s super wide, but in the winter it gets pretty skinny and braided. There’s a small braid that follows the walking path, but if you cross that you get over to the main braid. If you’re catching too many white fish then throw a streamer!