FS Riverstick Custom-machined Wading Staffs

herkileez

WFF Supporter
I got mine today. I ordered this strictly based on the comments. I lost my SIMMS staff by forgetting to attach it lol. I admit I couldn't really imagine what the "big deal" could be, I just needed a staff. I get it now. My SIMMS was a cheerleading baton compared to this zombie beater. Perfection and I'm never going back to an old sissy-stick. Maybe someone will find my old one, attach a ribbon to it, and do rhythmic gymnastics. Gotta remember to keep this one attached now ha ha. Its so awesome and thanks everyone for steering me in the right direction! Thanks herkileez !

Priceless!!...Thanks for making my day... Haha Haha 1587866183018.gif 1587866605818.gif

Last edited:

herkileez

WFF Supporter
I have another batch ready to be custom fit to your preferred length, at $95 usd plus shipping.
Please pm for details.

Attachments

• wading staff 001.jpg
    wading staff 001.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 52

xoshooter

I’m very interested. Was looking at the folstaff as well and found this randomly searching at 3am. Nurses when not working still get up early. Also good for fishing. My $$$imms staff is an expensive lightweight little used tool that looks nice, vibrates enough I think it will break and requires 4 hands to deploy. The neoprene case just does not give this thing up. I’m ready for a change for safety sake. What good is a staff if it doesn’t get used because it’s too hard to deploy? My s__ms rides high when folded and interferes with everything...net, line, vest...it’s messing with me!

What is the folded length of the staff? Will it fit in one of the koolbak holsters? Does it really deploy with just one hand?

Last edited:

herkileez

WFF Supporter
What is the folded length of the staff? Will it fit in one of the koolbak holsters? Does it really deploy with just one hand?

The folded length is approx 14". I'm not sure if it will fit in the Koolback holster. My logic in using the hammer loop holster is that hammers have been carried in a loop for 100+ years, with little change to the design. (and I've never seen a hammer carried in a neoprene pouch.. :rolleyes:) I have my holsters made here in BC and have found them to be perfect for carrying and one-hand deployment of the staff. Following the principal of K.I.S.S...I designed my staff using many off-the-shelf, and proven, components, so that it is easily self-maintainable and should never wear out.

BTW: Thanks for all the orders this week...Holy Crap!..... It must be a sign that folks are looking forward to getting out on the rivers again...that's a good thing for all of us !!

Stay safe all !

Last edited:
I ordered and received mine recently. Used it wading my favorite trout river last week. This is a very stout and sturdy wading staff. While it is a just little bit heavier than my previous staff, it makes up for it in stability and ease of use. I have a ton more confidence that I’ll get to the water I want to fish using this staff as opposed to my old one, which would drift and vibrate horribly when wading thru some of my runs. I too was a little suspicious of the hammer holster, but it worked just fine. It was easy to pull the staff out when I needed it and easy to put the staff back in it when I was done with it. BTW - I ordered the staff with the carbide steel tip and it plants very well in the rocks, just like I was hoping!! Thank you for the great craftsmanship and prompt shipping!

David Spey'd

herkileez, does the grip handle just pry off? I lost my SIMMS staff because I forgot to attach it, and I'd love to reuse the retractor that I had on my SIMMS staff. I even bought a male fitting for it so all I need is a way to attach the male fitting to my new staff. If I could get at the wrist strap and detach it, I could slide the male fitting onto it. Otherwise I just have to attach that male fitting to the ring with something. I sure like this staff! I'm nursing a cracked rib right now from doing a steelhead redd survey without my new staff.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
herkileez, does the grip handle just pry off? I lost my SIMMS staff because I forgot to attach it, and I'd love to reuse the retractor that I had on my SIMMS staff. I even bought a male fitting for it so all I need is a way to attach the male fitting to my new staff. If I could get at the wrist strap and detach it, I could slide the male fitting onto it. Otherwise I just have to attach that male fitting to the ring with something. I sure like this staff! I'm nursing a cracked rib right now from doing a steelhead redd survey without my new staff.
Sorry for the delay in answering. I just saw your post now.
Yes, if you work some soapy water in under the grip you can work it off and get at the wrist strap.
Personally, I would just find a clip to attach to the ring...that's what it's there for...

David Spey'd

Sorry for the delay in answering. I just saw your post now.
Yes, if you work some soapy water in under the grip you can work it off and get at the wrist strap.
Personally, I would just find a clip to attach to the ring...that's what it's there for...
OK good advice- I'll attach at the ring and THANKS !!

herkileez

WFF Supporter
OK good advice- I'll attach at the ring and THANKS !!

I would go with a light aluminum carabiner clip. You want it strong...but not too strong.
If you go for a spill, you want the ability to break off and get free if your staff gets away from you and becomes hung up. Here's what I use.

Attachments

• spring clip.jpg
    spring clip.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts