NFR NY Times article on Copper Ammunition

Jim Darden

wow.....I didn't know I shouldn't eat all that game I harvested with lead. I'm only 75, I might not live to be 200!!! I would have used copper bullets but they told me they were "cop killer bullets" because the solid core would pierce the bullet proof vests. now I don't know what to do, that's why I bought a "Tofurkey" for Thanksgiving.....

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
wow.....I didn't know I shouldn't eat all that game I harvested with lead. I'm only 75, I might not live to be 200!!! I would have used copper bullets but they told me they were "cop killer bullets" because the solid core would pierce the bullet proof vests. now I don't know what to do, that's why I bought a "Tofurkey" for Thanksgiving.....
Most hunting rifles will pierce a vest, and trauma plate.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Even if they didn't, surviving 3000+ pounds of impact energy would be comparable to being car struck by a fast moving vehicle.

Typical news article, well written but by someone not very familiar with the topic.

I could get onboard with some regulation, especially when it comes to fine shot. In the southern districts of my home state (MI) there are waterfowl shooting areas that see thousands of rounds fired over them annually. In contrast, up in my neck of the woods it's a percentage of a percentage concern level. Yet in typical Fed fashion they simply toss a huge blanket over everything.

Something that cannot be denied is LEAD KILLS. Even when up-sizing steel shot sizes it's lethalness (penetration level) is very significantly reduced. Causes more crippled bird losses, reduced range, etc. if I can't shoot over 30yds with high confidence it raises question.. With me it was the final straw just to bag and store the dekes. Substitute shot materials like tungsten (and others) are VERY effective but unfortunately.. cost prohibitive.

dld

Even if they didn't, surviving 3000+ pounds of impact energy would be comparable to being car struck by a fast moving vehicle.
High school physics tells us this isn't true. If it were, shooting the rifle would also be like being 'car struck by a fast moving vehicle'. This is why deer don't fly thirty feet when they are shot. Newton, conservation of energy, reaction/action, etc..

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
High school physics tells us this isn't true. If it were, shooting the rifle would also be like being 'car struck by a fast moving vehicle'. This is why deer don't fly thirty feet when they are shot. Newton, conservation of energy, reaction/action, etc..
380 Bullet 170 foot pounds energy.png

See below, .380 bullet impact. A WHOPPING 170 foot pounds (vs 3000+ I cited) of energy (rolling eyes this time)

SACRAMENTO — A police officer in California shared a photo on social media that shows the bruise caused by a .380 caliber bullet that struck his body armor vest.
"So this round is a, the knock-down power is 170 foot-pounds of energy, which is a good solid punch," he said.

Link to page and video: https://wreg.com/2017/09/21/officer...d-by-bullet-that-struck-his-bulletproof-vest/

Last edited:

dld

See below, .380 bullet impact. A WHOPPING 170 foot pounds of energy (rolling eyes this time)

SACRAMENTO — A police officer in California shared a photo on social media that shows the bruise caused by a .380 caliber bullet that struck his body armor vest.
"So this round is a, the knock-down power is 170 foot-pounds of energy, which is a good solid punch," he said.

Link to page and video: https://wreg.com/2017/09/21/officer...d-by-bullet-that-struck-his-bulletproof-vest/
You missed my argument completely. I am not arguing whether a guy would survive, I'm saying that it isn't on par with the impact of being hit with a fast moving vehicle.

Dead in both cases? Probably, but the car is much more kinetic energy.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Nit pickers abound.. Place body armor on a deer's chest I'm guessing he's going to go off his feet.. although probably not the 30' you cited.

(To be fair though, I'm in agreement with you)