Trip Report Rock Creek, MT — Late Fall

I have been fishing Rock Creek for over a decade now. It had been several years since I’d been back. There are certainly bigger rivers with fatter and more plentiful fish, but, there is just something special about this Crick that calls to me. I know certain sections better than my own homewater and when I turn off of I-90 up Rock Creek Road it somehow feels like home.

45BD91C6-AA5D-4405-B36D-824AEB622071.jpeg

I found myself with a week off just before Halloween and decided to head to the Crick hoping the crowds had disappeared with the colder, rainy weather.

6C45941C-ED49-4A39-BC0C-C2F6426A553E.jpeg

Over the next few days I hiked and fished the upper creek with a few friends wearing cold weather gear, orange vests and bear spray.

1FEF5125-FC91-423B-8BE9-391DAF119BBA.jpeg

We had to work hard for the takes as we drifted a Pats stone down to a pheasant tail or soft hackle. Even managed a few rises twitching an October Caddis. All said and done we hiked a few miles, sipped some whisky from our flask, took in the beauty of nature and even landed a few nice Rainbows, Cutthroat, Browns and a Brookie.

E3F96310-FBCB-4D57-ABFF-B3619DA0070E.jpeg

05824E86-9FC5-447F-B137-D477C2881ECA.jpeg

There is just something about that Crick.

F53780A8-37C7-42F6-A6F6-D9B70FAD81C8.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Thirty years ago my wife and I and our one year old son drove up Rock Creek road in our VW camper. A nice bull moose stepped out onto the road and stared at us while we took a couple pictures of him. Put the camera down and put the van in gear but the moose kept staring. I inched forward, he kept staring. Inched some more and finally he turned and slowly walked up the middle of the road like he owned the place. We followed his butt for a quarter mile before he casually sauntered off the road and into the brush.
Rock Creek is a special place. Thanks for the great photos - and for rekindling a fond memory.

skyriver

Similar story...we fished until dark and then remembered we needed some supplies. Drove all the way down to civilization for goods and on the way back to camp (which we hadn't setup yet) a very large cougar crossed the road in front of us and stood on a ledge above the road, glowing in the moonlight/headlight mix. It was an eerie feeling. And boy, setting up camp in the dark a few miles up the road that night was not comforting.
Magical place for sure.
Great report!

Similar story...we fished until dark and then remembered we needed some supplies. Drove all the way down to civilization for goods and on the way back to camp (which we hadn't setup yet) a very large cougar crossed the road in front of us and stood on a ledge above the road, glowing in the moonlight/headlight mix. It was an eerie feeling. And boy, setting up camp in the dark a few miles up the road that night was not comforting.
Magical place for sure.
Great report!
Skyriver, it’s interesting you mention seeing a cougar. Some of the scat we saw was in an opening next to some dense thickets. I didn’t recognize it, but, took a pic. We researched it back at the cabin and realized it was fresh cougar scat. Needless to say we were on high alert the remainder of the trip. Eerie indeed.

Latest posts