OP DIY Trip

Mo_21

Hey fellas,
Over the past few season myself and some buddies have done some guided trips for Atlantics and Steelheads. Have had some great guides across the board but we are looking to go cross country and do it on our own. Looking more for the reward of doing our own research and hopefully finding a players in the OP.

We have set up to be in Forks, WA and looking to fish the Hoh, Bogachiel, and the Sol Duc. I am not looking to Spot Burn anyone or anything like that just looking for any and all information. It would be greatly appreciate, thanks in advance for anyone willing to part with some wisdom. Please PM me with any helpful general info in terms of access points...

Salmo_g

Google Earth is your friend. The Hoh has the most road access for walk and wade fishing, the Bogachiel probably the least. The Hoh gets the most fishing pressure, both boats and walk and wade anglers. If you have never fished OP rivers before, some time with a guide will really steepen your learning curve. How many days are you planning to fish, and when is your trip?

Mo_21

That is what I am working on is utilizing Google Earth to get a better look at the rivers themselves. We are headed out Jan 23 to fish 3 to 4 days.

Here's a lodging tip good for groups : Olympic Suites Inn. Just thinking about that late 80s failed apartment complex turned hotel gets me fired up. Crank those base board heaters up till its 80 degrees (only takes 2 hours to heat up) then walk around in your shorts and a tshirt after a day in 30 degree pissing rain ....its super magical. Book soon to make sure you get the room that has 1 king bed and 2 double beds, complete with a full kitchen, living room, couch(pulls out to sleeper) etc. Runs about $90 a night. Honest tip : I've caught fish behind the hotel.

Bringing a boat will make the trip wayyyy better. Don't float the Sol Duc even if u bring a raft. If you're bank bound and swing only stick to the Hoh, read the regs and start driving the road following the river. Pull over at what looks good and give it a go.

Here's a lodging tip good for groups : Olympic Suites Inn. Just thinking about that late 80s failed apartment complex turned hotel gets me fired up. Crank those base board heaters up till its 80 degrees (only takes 2 hours to heat up) then walk around in your shorts and a tshirt after a day in 30 degree pissing rain ....its super magical. Book soon to make sure you get the room that has 1 king bed and 2 double beds, complete with a full kitchen, living room, couch(pulls out to sleeper) etc. Runs about $90 a night. Honest tip : I've caught fish behind the hotel.

Bringing a boat will make the trip wayyyy better. Don't float the Sol Duc even if u bring a raft. If you're bank bound and swing only stick to the Hoh, read the regs and start driving the road following the river. Pull over at what looks good and give it a go.
Thanks man appreciate it

Smith River winter fish are HUUUUUUGE.
Rogue River fish over 30” are rare indeed, but you obviously don’t know what Smith River winter fish look like, or S Umpqua winter fish for that matter
I have seen a couple of large fish caught from the Smith. See another reason to fish Oregon and California! There needs to be a lot more write ups in fly magazines about the fishing down there. Not sure why people travel to Washington with our small runs and tiny fish.