OP DIY Trip

Mo_21- - - Will not repeat good tips given.
You have at least 6 rivers based out of Forks. Finding one in shape should not be a major concern given four days. Planning via satellite is vital for DIY and “follow the little blue lines” on the map. Stop and look at bridge / road crossings & state park drift boat launch locations. Drift boats & fishermen easily point the way. Treat the locals with respect.
If you bushwhack by yourself to find the river, bring a compass & check your cell phone coverage. Spent a whole afternoon spinning around once until I was lucky enough to find a mushroom picker.

You have at least 6 rivers based out of Forks. Finding one in shape should not be a major concern given four days. Planning via satellite is vital for DIY and “follow the little blue lines” on the map. Stop and look at bridge / road crossings & state park drift boat launch locations. Drift boats & fishermen easily point the way. Treat the locals with respect.
If you bushwhack by yourself to find the river, bring a compass & check your cell phone coverage. Spent a whole afternoon spinning around once until I was lucky enough to find a mushroom picker.
DO NOT cross the river at Bogachiel state park and trespass on that guys land. Stay on the gravel only. Talking to a shotgun and his dog isn’t fun

...and don’t forget your rain gear...
Oh. And google “devils club”. It’s something you should be aware of.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
DO NOT cross the river at Bogachiel state park and trespass on that guys land. Stay on the gravel only. Talking to a shotgun and his dog isn’t fun
Same thing heading west at the bridge just downstream of the Klahowya Campground.
Stay on river bank left looking downstream below the bridge unless you like the sound of warning shots....don't ask me how I know. :D
SF

Be aware the OP has one of the highest concentrations of bears in the continental US. A recent thread on this very forum noted that they commonly awake from their hibernation slumber to wander the rivers.
Might want to pack a supply of bear spray...

Another word of caution if I might add, besides the bears, tweakers, bull elk, gun toting landowners, unrelenting rain, hurricane force winds, and tire eating potholes is....Black Ice....given the time of year you will be making the trip, the OP is a temperate rain forest. Don't let that fool you. It is not unusual after a large rain storm to get a night that clears off and temperatures drop below freezing. The combination of moisture and winter temps can be treacherous.

I would also pick a more southern location(N.Cal)

If you’re gonna be in the national park you might want to swing into a ranger station and check out a bear can or two. On the river and camping be sure to practice “leave no trace” cuz it’s not just squirrels and racoons that’ll raid your camp out there if you leave bits and smellables lying about.

XP

XP for Mod 2018
Same thing heading west at the bridge just downstream of the Klahowya Campground.
Stay on river bank left looking downstream below the bridge unless you like the sound of warning shots....don't ask me how I know. :D
SF
Been there. He told me you can ask him permission to fish there but yikes I’m not gonna knock on his door. Probably think I’m the feds and make his last stand

Been there. He told me you can ask him permission to fish there but yikes I’m not gonna knock on his door. Probably think I’m the feds and make his last stand
On my way to fish the Nature Conservancy water on the Mcloud this year I had to drive by a little shack of a house that was plastered with signs that say “ FBI IS MAFIA” - didn’t even want to slow down to get a pic[/QUOTE]

Look out for the guy with the spider tattoo on his neck who illegally gill nets. When a certain guide approached, he grabbed a machete, stepped into the forrest and waved him in.
Just take your skunking like a man
Cheers

Latest posts