Trip Report Elk River British Columbia Rising Cutthroat Trout August 2018

I don't like being the one to throw cold water on this love-in but I have a valid complaint. The videos are very good but the audio is just awful with about every 5th word being "Awesome!" You guys need to clean up your vocabulary. It is the equivalent of a teenager saying "Like" every few seconds. I have fly fished since July 28, 1951 and caught many thousands of fish over the years but only 3 were genuinely awesome. Two wild steelhead that spooled me with spectacular leaps and a Garrard rainbow of 15# that made jumps over my head at Sheridan Lake.

I have never caught a 14" fish that was "Awesome" and doubt that you guys have either.

So while I'm complaining about a very good and enjoyable show I have another observation. For years you guys have been very tight lipped about the waters you were fishing by saying things like: "A lake in eastern Washington" or "A beautiful stream in British Columbia". I liked that you weren't naming names-there are already too many publications and web sites devoted to kiss-and-tell fishing. I would rather try to guess where you were fishing than have you blurt it out then find 12 cars in the parking lot the next time I visit a lake. Lately it seems like you are naming names and I wonder if it is pressure by your sponsors or producers or if you are just caving in to viewers that want to be spoon fed. The old way was better.

Keep up the good work you do and save "Awesome!" for those few fish in a lifetime that are truly unforgettable.

Ive
Why don’t you just stop watching the show? I personally really like it the way it is and haven’t really seen them fish rivers that aren’t already very well known.

I don't like being the one to throw cold water on this love-in but I have a valid complaint. The videos are very good but the audio is just awful with about every 5th word being "Awesome!" You guys need to clean up your vocabulary. It is the equivalent of a teenager saying "Like" every few seconds. I have fly fished since July 28, 1951 and caught many thousands of fish over the years but only 3 were genuinely awesome. Two wild steelhead that spooled me with spectacular leaps and a Garrard rainbow of 15# that made jumps over my head at Sheridan Lake.

I have never caught a 14" fish that was "Awesome" and doubt that you guys have either.

So while I'm complaining about a very good and enjoyable show I have another observation. For years you guys have been very tight lipped about the waters you were fishing by saying things like: "A lake in eastern Washington" or "A beautiful stream in British Columbia". I liked that you weren't naming names-there are already too many publications and web sites devoted to kiss-and-tell fishing. I would rather try to guess where you were fishing than have you blurt it out then find 12 cars in the parking lot the next time I visit a lake. Lately it seems like you are naming names and I wonder if it is pressure by your sponsors or producers or if you are just caving in to viewers that want to be spoon fed. The old way was better.

Keep up the good work you do and save "Awesome!" for those few fish in a lifetime that are truly unforgettable.

Ive
Thanks
IveofIone
I appreciate the input. I do think at 14 inch Cutthroat is awesome but the bigger issue is our deficiency in our vocabulary. That is just us. Sorry. We are limited. No excuses.
It is a difficult balance between telling and not telling. It is definitely for people that watch the show and ask for where we are. Not sponsors and we are the producers.

Thanks for watching and the positive comments about the show.

Ive
Ive, Ladin may be dropping names because I tactfully complained about that issue when we met earlier this year. It seemed as pointless as the way that movies failed to mention car brands when I was much younger. But when presenting to the public, you can't please everybody.

Buzzy

Thanks
IveofIone
I appreciate the input. I do think at 14 inch Cutthroat is awesome but the bigger issue is our deficiency in our vocabulary. That is just us. Sorry. We are limited. No excuses.
It is a difficult balance between telling and not telling. It is definitely for people that watch the show and ask for where we are. Not sponsors and we are the producers.

Thanks for watching and the positive comments about the show.
Ladin -
I typically DVR your shows then I can fast forward through commercials and the goofy beginning segments (no offense, that's who you are that is fine with me). I do appreciate your program, it has given me some ideas and additions to my bucket list - The Blackfoot Reservation being up there. One more thing I appreciate: I don't have to listen to some heavy metal screeching "music" in the background so common on many youtube videos.

Best.
Patrick

IveofIone

I have no problem with it as long as you hotspot someone elses hotspot rather than mine.;)
Then you have a problem because they recently hotspotted one of our favs.:(

Pat-are you thinking of towing your pram to the Blackfoot Reservation next spring? If so we could make it a Pramathon as I would like to go as well.

For those of you who are just now being exposed to Fishing With Ladin as near as I can tell it has been around since around 2005 but not seen as widely as it is now. In the beginning it was about half slapstick comedy and half fishing but today the fishing is far better than it was a decade ago. Some of the early shows were just hilarious and were a welcome break from the onerous over produced fly fishing shows of the day. No classical music, helicopter fishing remote steelhead streams and toasting a caught fish with champagne served in cut crystal carried in a leather case. Even today's Seasons on the Fly with Greg Heister is overproduced and the descriptive language overly flowery. C'mon Greg-it's a fishing trip!

We owe a debt of gratitude to Ladin and Steve for returning reality to fly fishing shows and fishing water that most of us can access readily without needing a CEO's salary to afford it. I have watched almost every show since the beginning. I would love to see a rerun of their Fishing in Russia adventure and also the episode where Ladin was giving advice to a young man on being the man of the house-good stuff!

As many of you may have noticed a number of their shows are filmed along a road or freeway with bridges and traffic in the background. My takeaway from that is there is a lot of water that people drive right past that is loaded with fish but seldom fished. I know of folks that have driven 600 miles to fish with a guide costing several hundred dollars a day to catch just average fish and driven by better water visible from the truck to get there.

Steve is damned good and Ladin-well there isn't a whitefish that doesn't fear him!

Ive

IveofIone

" Stick around folks-it's going to be an awesome show!"

Well, I had a house guest this weekend and with all the snow and nasty weather we were pretty much confined to quarters. But I had DVR'ed a number of the Ladin shows and since this person had never seen one I had to prepare them for the "AWESOME!" onslaught to come. And come it did! The first show we watched counted 24 "AWESOME'S"! in a 22 minute segment. Truly awesome! By the end of the show we were laughing out loud at how frequently awesome the show was turning out to be.

And by the end of the weekend we were finding everything to be "AWESOME!" and laughing our asses off using awesome to describe everyday mundane events. But by the third episode which had 11 "AWESOME's!" before the second break we could take no more and muted the rest of the show and just watched.

It's funny how you can get sensitized to redundant words or phrases to the point that hearing them over and over is just cringe worthy. Awesome is dead but it was awesome while it lasted!

Well, I had a house guest this weekend and with all the snow and nasty weather we were pretty much confined to quarters. But I had DVR'ed a number of the Ladin shows and since this person had never seen one I had to prepare them for the "AWESOME!" onslaught to come. And come it did! The first show we watched counted 24 "AWESOME'S"! in a 22 minute segment. Truly awesome! By the end of the show we were laughing out loud at how frequently awesome the show was turning out to be.

And by the end of the weekend we were finding everything to be "AWESOME!" and laughing our asses off using awesome to describe everyday mundane events. But by the third episode which had 11 "AWESOME's!" before the second break we could take no more and muted the rest of the show and just watched.

It's funny how you can get sensitized to redundant words or phrases to the point that hearing them over and over is just cringe worthy. Awesome is dead but it was awesome while it lasted!
Awesome post, dude!

Love it. Truly Awesome!. We will work on it. :)

bhilton

Speaking of redundant words or phrases, maybe Ive could write another brilliant post about how he feels about something or other that the rest of us peasants enjoy. That would be awesome.

IveofIone

Speaking of redundant words or phrases, maybe Ive could write another brilliant post about how he feels about something or other that the rest of us peasants enjoy. That would be awesome.
So much for reading comprehension. If all you got from my post was that I dislike Ladin's show you have not only missed the point but you are dead wrong. I wouldn't have watched it from the beginning if I disliked it. In fact, I have recommended it several times over the years to guys that weren't aware that it was even on. I simply pointed out that the guys have fallen into some bad habits that they need to clean up. Ladin has been pretty good-natured about accepting some mild criticism and I'm sure if he watches some of his own shows he knows exactly what I was complaining about.

In their defense it is difficult to catch as many fish as they do and not run out of descriptive adjectives, hence the repeated use of some words.

And like a lot of you guys I think it would be a hoot to fish with Ladin and Steve-who knows-I might even catch an awesome fish!

Ive

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I don't think I ever watched it. So I guess that I ain't missing out on anything, I watched the one show mentioned on here but no others.

Latest posts