What’s the most dignified way to fish a bead?

freestonebound

If it swims I'm interested.
In between the tube and the trailer hook! That way I can still tell golfman that I'm swinging flies. :cool:
Took the words outta my mouth. I was gonna say inbetween the shank and hook on a marabou spey. Those are what I contributed to a fly swap a while black.

Josh Stroud

If you think there's any dignified way to fish a bead, then you probably think putting lipstick on a pig makes it not a pig. Why are you hung up on being dignified. Just be a knuckle-dragging lowlife bait goober and get on with it.
I don’t see the issue. In certain areas, such as Alaska, fishing beads is matching the hatch just as any other “dignified” fly fisherman would anywhere else.

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I don’t see the issue. In certain areas, such as Alaska, fishing beads is matching the hatch just as any other “dignified” fly fisherman would anywhere else.

Using a bead to match the hatch might be an appropriate approach to trout fishing when the trout are feeding on eggs of spawning salmon, even if it isn't dignified. This being the steelhead sub-forum, how often have you witnessed steelheaders using beads to "match the hatch" while steelhead fishing? Steelheaders use beads because they can effectively nymph fish where they can't swing, and because beads turn non-players into players, thereby running up their score cards.

Josh Stroud

Using a bead to match the hatch might be an appropriate approach to trout fishing when the trout are feeding on eggs of spawning salmon, even if it isn't dignified. This being the steelhead sub-forum, how often have you witnessed steelheaders using beads to "match the hatch" while steelhead fishing? Steelheaders use beads because they can effectively nymph fish where they can't swing, and because beads turn non-players into players, thereby running up their score cards.
I understand how nymph fishing works, for either trout or steelhead. My point is if a dude wants to fish a bead, I’m not gonna stick my nose in the air like my method is superior.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I’m not gonna stick my nose in the air like my method is superior.

I agree, you shouldn't stick your nose in the air unless you're sniffing for something. I'm sticking to the thread topic and not look for dignity where there is none to begin with.

Josh Stroud

I agree, you shouldn't stick your nose in the air unless you're sniffing for something. I'm sticking to the thread topic and not look for dignity where there is none to begin with.
Ok, cool. Got the typical response I thought I would get. Personally, I like to swing for steelhead, but I’m not matching a hatch with that either. I’m also finding an aggressive fish that isn’t eating. Either way, it’s a method of fishing. I just try and be open to whatever someone wants to do. As long as they do it ethically, I don’t care.

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
Ok, cool. Got the typical response I thought I would get. Personally, I like to swing for steelhead, but I’m not matching a hatch with that either. I’m also finding an aggressive fish that isn’t eating. Either way, it’s a method of fishing. I just try and be open to whatever someone wants to do. As long as they do it ethically, I don’t care.

That’s the norm, but Steve is old (talking like a fossil) and set in his pre-determined path. Forgive his lack of acceptance.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts