What’s the most dignified way to fish a bead?

O' Clarkii Stomias

I understand why people fish beads, they work.

What I don’t get is why they do it with fly rods. It’s got to be the least effective way to run them.
Really the only time I ever fished beads in the lower 48 was a December day on the Methow. After a few days of swinging to no avail, I succumbed to my desires to touch a fish. That day, you couldn't have convinced me there was any more effective way to fish. 14 years later, I still feel guilty!

Rob Allen

There is nothing dignified about using spinning reels for steelhead. It just screams I'm not man enough to use a baitcaster.
And don't get me started on thoes oversized noodle centerpinning rods.

So to fish a bead with dignity 1. The bead is painted cork. 2 is used in conjunction with some yarn and borax cured coho eggs

B

bennysbuddy

There is nothing dignified about using spinning reels for steelhead. It just screams I'm not man enough to use a baitcaster.
And don't get me started on thoes oversized noodle centerpinning rods.

So to fish a bead with dignity 1. The bead is painted cork. 2 is used in conjunction with some yarn and borax cured coho eggs
have you ever fished a center pin ? they take some skill level to cast with out making a birds nest of epic proportions

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I understand why people fish beads, they work.

What I don’t get is why they do it with fly rods. It’s got to be the least effective way to run them.

Actually Yard I know a couple of beadsters who bead with fly rods, and by their results it can be more effective than using spinning or other conventional gear. I think I know why, but I don't know enough to be certain.

Josh Stroud

Actually Yard I know a couple of beadsters who bead with fly rods, and by their results it can be more effective than using spinning or other conventional gear. I think I know why, but I don't know enough to be certain.
Salmo is probably one of those dudes that is out there swinging with his high end gear so dignified. He watches so many others drift by catching fish as he sits there without any luck. He then goes onto fly fishing forums and complains about these same guys.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Salmo is probably one of those dudes that is out there swinging with his high end gear so dignified. He watches so many others drift by catching fish as he sits there without any luck. He then goes onto fly fishing forums and complains about these same guys.

I think he just likes to disagree with anything I post. It’s been almost every post this week.

I’m sure there are situations where a fly rod is more effective. It’s more stealth and bite sensitive. Just like there are times a swung fly will outperform beads.

Having watched Evan do his magic with a pin rod I think there is little debate what is the most effective method. When those first came out I was actually worried about the impact it would have on both the fish(it’s freaking deadly) and the experience (1 pin rod can fish the same water 2 swingers can). Turns out it’s hard to do so not many people put in the work to learn it.

All I know is there is only one method where you can hook a fish while drinking a beer and watching an eagle do a fly by at the same time.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
All I know is there is only one method where you can hook a fish while drinking a beer and watching an eagle do a fly by at the same time.

sure, you can do that WHILE you swing only, personally I like to drink my beer and watch eagles between slots that I've run a bead through AND during the runs that I swing through....it's a win win.

Sportsman

[QUOTE="Yard Sale,

All I know is there is only one method where you can hook a fish while drinking a beer and watching an eagle do a fly by at the same time.[/QUOTE]
Plunking on the Bogy at Mora campground? Might even be able to watch a Hawk game at the same time!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts