What’s the most dignified way to fish a bead?

Charles Sullivan

Salmo is probably one of those dudes that is out there swinging with his high end gear so dignified. He watches so many others drift by catching fish as he sits there without any luck. He then goes onto fly fishing forums and complains about these same guys.

My experience fishing with G is that some days you get them. Some days you dont. Some days the rivers go out.

Every day the conversation is good. The opinions are required to be backed up with logic. The scotch will be better than my taste buds need. The beer will be a brown or porter.

I havent figured out how to offend him or really piss him off. Thats saying something because I specialize in masshole.

Go sox,
Cds

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I’d recommend actually putting some effort into various methods of delivery before declaring their worth. Otherwise you are just talking out of your ass.

Salmo is wise. Respect yer elders yard sale.

Did you actually read my post or just jump on the WFF bandwagon?

And how was I in anyway disrespectful?

Yard Sale

Huge Member

Fair enough. Plunking, trolling, swinging.

You gotta be on the sticks to pull plugs.
You gotta have a hand on the reel for spoons.

So what are the other 3?

Sportsman

Fair enough. Plunking, trolling, swinging.

You gotta be on the sticks to pull plugs.
You gotta have a hand on the reel for spoons.

So what are the other 3?
1. Plunking/Camping on a gravel bar on the Bogy
2. Drinking 24/7
3. Throwing rocks at anyone taking out at the Little Dicky...somewhat kidding.

Last edited:

BDD

I have never fished with Sg...there have been a couple of times when we were in the same geographic area and we discussed the possibility of fishing together. I felt honored just to be considered for it.

I have no idea how good an angler Sg is and it doesn't matter. His knowledge of fish, fishing history, tackle, methods/techniques, fishing management, fish politics, governments in the fishing business, fishing locations, and anything related to fish and fishing is so vastly superior to my own (of which I have a fair amount) any fish catching would play second fiddle just to spend some time with him for a day in conversation.

I write this without any need to stroke his ego...anybody who has read any of his writings here over the past decade plus would come to the same conclusion.

B

bennysbuddy

[QUOTE="Yard Sale,

All I know is there is only one method where you can hook a fish while drinking a beer and watching an eagle do a fly by at the same time.
Plunking on the Bogy at Mora campground? Might even be able to watch a Hawk game at the same time![/QUOTE]
Plunking, that’s my favorite social event

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Plunking, that’s my favorite social event

I remember plunking on the Puyallup in the mid 70's with my dad and his friends.
I was about 14 then. My dad was pretty easy going and would let me have a beer now and then with the crew as long as it was in a supervised situation. Plunking was one of those situations.......
His buddy Jack asked me one day if I wanted a Black Label. I figured sure, pops was there and would be OK with me having a beer.
Well. Jack Daniels has a black label as well.....my introduction to Whiskey thanks to plunking. ;)
SF

Last edited:

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Salmo is probably one of those dudes that is out there swinging with his high end gear so dignified. He watches so many others drift by catching fish as he sits there without any luck. He then goes onto fly fishing forums and complains about these same guys.

Josh,

Assumption is the mother of many a fvck up. Congratulations. But why guess? Just meet up on a river and check me out. It's true that my gear is nearer high end, but that's only because decent Spey gear is expensive. Had you run into me on the river before the end of the 80s you would have found me fishing (the wet fly swing, yes) an 8 1/2' fiberglass rod that cost about $30. However the reel hanging from it is/was a Hardy. I've been called a lot of things, a decent caster (SH, not Spey, although that's improved), a knowledgeable fisherman, but I have no recollection whatever of being called dignified.

I've watched a lot of other fishermen, drifting by and otherwise, and one thing for sure is that all steelheaders, regardless of method and technique, spend most of their angling day not catching steelhead. That's not to say that I haven't seen others catch steelhead; I have. And occasionally others have seen me catch steelhead, although I try to keep that to a minimum for the selfish reason that when other fishermen see me catch a fish there is this tendency for them to come stand near me and cast where I'm casting as if I somehow know exactly where the fish are. Consequently I try to avoid having others see me catch steelhead, and I have fishing friends who feel exactly the same way.

And where did I complain? I answered the OP's question by claiming there is no dignified way to fish a bead. No where did I say I am opposed to fishing beads. I think they have their time and place. BTW, no where have I said that the wet fly swing is dignified either, just to be clear. I may have complained about anglers who run up their score, just because they can, but that is directed across methods and not directed only at bead fishing. And that is only due to the combination of social and environmental issues that have combined to create a large population of anglers superimposed on a small population of fish. But that should be another discussion.

Sg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts