What’s the most dignified way to fish a bead?

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
I just want to know if I’m supposed to hate the nymphers for catching too many fish with their beads or do I thank them for not choosing a more effective method like centerpinning? I’m so conflicted now help me internet correctly so as to be the most righteous Spey Yahweh I can be.

Sorry Creatch'r, can't help you because the answer is neither. Your question doesn't differ much from the thread title, "what's the most dignified way to fish a bead?"

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
whatever way you fish, just please do it ethically,

Josh, your probably won't take this the way I mean it, but my intent is to be helpful. You seem to be a master of assumption because ethics are subjectively defined, not objectively. So according to you, what does fishing ethically mean?

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Asking Steve's advice or opinion on beads, is akin to asking the Dali Llama which gun he likes best for a home invasion...

That's not true Jeremy! I have considerably stronger opinions about home invasion defense weapons (I use to include shotguns, but they are unwieldy, so now consider minimum 9 mm, easy to fit and find - in the dark - in the nightstand) than I do about beads. I do know some key things about beads, but lack the extensive knowledge of some practitioners I've met. I think I read that the Dali Llama prefers an Uzi.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
So here's the deal with fly rods. They were invented to present floating insect imitations to surface feeding trout in small streams. Within that context, a well-handled fly rod is a peerless fish catching machine. Any alteration to those parameters--dry fly, rising trout, small streams--and a fly rod ceases to be the most effective tool for the job at hand. When we choose a fly rod to do anything but toss dry flies to small stream trout, we're always choosing to do so for reasons other than the efficiency of the instrument.

I think you're wrong. The earliest accounts of fly fishing pertain to casting horse hair lines and leaders with one or more wet flies. Tying dry flies didn't come about until much later. I think I disagree with your last sentence as well; what about casting dry flies or chironomids with an indicator when lake fishing? The fly rod seems very efficient for that to me.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
And if you're fishing deeper than I am, you'd have to follow through second. Actually you might have to follow anyway, I usually fish too fast for other anglers' taste.

Lightest tip always goes through first. When I float I usually carry a floater and a sinker so I can rotate with folks. That said I always like to fish behind people on their home rivers. One can learn a lot that way.

Plus my casting usually goes to shit when I think somebody is watching me...

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
There is nothing dignified about using spinning reels for steelhead. It just screams I'm not man enough to use a baitcaster.
And don't get me started on thoes oversized noodle centerpinning rods.

So to fish a bead with dignity 1. The bead is painted cork. 2 is used in conjunction with some yarn and borax cured coho eggs
Golly Rob provocatively opinionated as usual, but even Bob Ross used a palette knife once in a while... ;)

Dylar

Kicked
I think you're wrong. The earliest accounts of fly fishing pertain to casting horse hair lines and leaders with one or more wet flies. Tying dry flies didn't come about until much later.

There's a reason I specified "fly rod" and not "fly fishing." Yes, there is a history of fishing with "flies" (fur or feathers wound on a hook) that long predates fly rods of the recognizably modern type, and, yes, subsurface patterns existed for generations before dry flies were developed. That said lineage of the conventional fly rods used by anglers today began with rods built to throw early dry flies on English chalk streams. I'm talking about the tool, not the underlying concept.

I think I disagree with your last sentence as well; what about casting dry flies or chironomids with an indicator when lake fishing? The fly rod seems very efficient for that to me.

Depends probably on how well the float 'n fly gear guys can mimic the presentation, I imagine.

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
My question is what is the best indicator to use & is split shot better than that moldable putty stuff ?
And how do you guys cast this stuff with a 2 handed rod ?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts