What’s the most dignified way to fish a bead?

matchu865

WFF Supporter
My question is what is the best indicator to use & is split shot better than that moldable putty stuff ?
And how do you guys cast this stuff with a 2 handed rod ?

Never cast with a 2 hand. Last year I tried putty vs split shot. What I liked was having 18 of tippet/leader that my bead was attached to tied to a small swivel, other end tied to the leader, then I covered the swivel with the putty. Indicator on the leader. When, not if, you hit yourself in the back casting it feels about like getting shot with a paintball gun.

This year I’m carrying a float rod and a spey rod.

Rob Allen

My question is what is the best indicator to use & is split shot better than that moldable putty stuff ?
And how do you guys cast this stuff with a 2 handed rod ?

Barrel swivel, 18 inch leader, 3/16th dia. Hollow pencil lead length determined by depth and speed of water. Bead threaded onto leader. Size 4 octopus hook.
Casting 2 handed rod: push the button and hold thumb on spool swing the rod back then forward, clearing all obstacles . Stop the forward swing and release thumb when rod tip points to target. Feather the spool and stop it as it hits the water.
Indicating the strike. The line stops moving downstream and the hard tick of the lead on the bottom becomes soft.
The whole concept of a natural drift for steelhead is bogus, you want a slow drift to keep the lure in the strike zone as long as possible.

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Supporter
Casting 2 handed rod: push the button and hold thumb on spool swing the rod back then forward, clearing all obstacles . Stop the forward swing and release thumb when rod tip points to target. Feather the spool and stop it as it hits the water.
Indicating the strike. The line stops moving downstream and the hard tick of the lead on the bottom becomes soft.

We see what you did there... ;)

skyrise

CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
Years ago (many) someone down in SW WA showed me how to fish nymphs using split shot on the leader with my floating line & single hand rod. It was a ugly lob cast, but also very effective in the summer.
I am guessing if I use a much heavier floating head then it might turn over the weight better? Reds has videos showing how to set up an indicator system for trout. But Steelhead is a whole different game with the weight required in winter pushing the limit of casting.

jwg

Most dignified is on a hook along with a black thread body, red wire, and peacock herl thorax, make sure the bead is white, and fish it under an indicator. And spend your time on the Lakes forum.
J

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Supporter
Hello Richard............mind if I call you Dick?
Merry Christmas!

Way to put the "Christ" in Christmas...strong work.

BTW, that was a joke.

BTW, I also happen to agree with Dustin though...which brings me to....this thread is ridiculous

Happy Hanukkah, Malkh, Koliada, Decemberween, Festivus, Ramadan, Malanka, oh, and Christmas....

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts