NFR Need some help training my one year old dog

gt

using treats instead of praise is a common mistake. my dogs worked for me not by treat but by my attention and praise of their following through on various commands. starting training with a year old dog is going to be tough as the dog already has expectations based on your actions.

You're getting about as many responses here as you would if you had asked, "what's the best rod...."

Some dogs are harder to train than others. Luckily for me, I've always had dogs that were extremely food motivated, which makes training far easier. The sit thing has worked in the past for me. Just make sure you're only rewarding positive behavior (I've always started with treats, then transitioned to praise only). They're never too old to be trained.

Cheers!

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Swimmy, more likely than not, you're fvcked as far as training this dog goes. The treats you're giving him are training him to bark when guests come to the door. Also it's most likely that he nips because he's afraid, and that is a big hurdle.

I'm definitely old school when it comes to dogs and subscribe to the Richard Wolter's school of dog training because it just flat out works. I never used treats at all, but I understand that many successful trainers do. You just have to be sure that the treats are not reinforcing the wrong behavior.

You missed the boat first by not bringing the dog to your home from its litter at age 49 days, having seen myself the difference even a week makes. Training also begins on day 49, although it's very low key, and then training begins in earnest at 12 weeks, but which time the dog already understands and responds to the commands of 1. it's name (a command for attention), 1. sit, 3. stay, 4. come. Those are the basic citizenship commands, and dogs possessing any innate intelligence (some don't) can learn and perform those by 12 weeks of age. And you want to begin at 12 months?

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's gonna' be much harder. My sis got a rescue springer that was around a year old and had issues, including a major nervous fear factor. She's a disciplined trainer, and it still took two years or more to bring that dog into the sphere of "normal," after which it learned and performed OK. Not perfect, but OK to have and be around.

Oh, regarding barking, I used the command "Quiet!" accompanied by slapping a rolled up newspaper against my hand or a wall. Dogs are pack animals, and the message is that I'm the alpha leader of the pack, and I am the maker of loud noise, and other pack members can make loud noise (bark) when I say it's OK. Sometimes there are exceptions. I had a retriever who must have been traumatized by the garbage truck and garbage man in his youth, and he would bark uncontrollably each week with the arrival of the garbage truck. I never could train him out of that, and I decided to let it go since his behavior was just about perfect in every other way.

Good luck. It's gonna' take 100% discipline on the part of you, Melissa, and the boys over a long period of time to turn him into a good family dog.
What he said...

KerryS

Ignored Member
I would offer some advice since in the past I have had fairly good success training my dogs but the last dog we acquired is an English Mastiff. I have met my match and now my only advice is if you want an obedient dog don’t start with an English Mastiff.

FinLuver

Choke Chain, Leather Leash, and Obedience Class...
The command "out" works wonders...along with "sit" and "stay".

Shepherd, 3rd Grader, and the ^^above^^ = 1st Place Trophy in the early 70s. ;)

Actually let me clarify, I have my guests drop him treats when they come in. I've instructed them not to make eye contact or engage with the dog, simply drop treats in his direction.

Maybe that is completely the wrong thing to do but something I say on the youtubes.
No treats at all. Do not let him greet friends at the door...put him outside or in another room. Once your friends are sitting let him in to socialize....he's either overly protective or feels threatened....probably the latter. This is crucial: when the dog approaches company, have them put their arms down with palms out. This allows the dog to smell without feeling threatend. Don't let anyone try to pet him unless the dog tells you it's OK. It will take time and patience but it will work.

FinLuver

Dogs are like people...
They don't need treats, just praise and a good scratch behind the ears.
They are like people, in that they dig being "accepted and doing right".
It's that simple...really.