NFR Need some help training my one year old dog

@salmo do you agree? More aggressive than tentative right?
There sure is some aggressiveness in his behavior Swimmy, but I think it's based on some past trauma or anxiety. I'm no expert; I just follow Wolter's method because it works. A year-old dog is outside that method. I think you might be best served by contacting the folks in that local link in an earlier post in this thread. Professional trainers usually have experience dealing with dogs that are beyond puppy-hood and that have been "ruined" by owners who have instilled all the wrong habits and behaviors in their dogs. I'll speculate that your dog can be helped based on what little I observed and having seen some major makeovers that have been done by people who take in rescue dogs that had suffered pretty severe abuse. It's not easy; it's not fast. It's also beyond the training that I have done.

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
Sorry
My bad
I should stick to minding my own business
Tight lines
I am in no way offended or put off, it is fine.

I wasn’t ok last year, and this first half of this year. Having mental health rear it’s ugly head in the middle of an amazing relationship is extremely taxing, emotionally, on the aware person. Grieving over the loss of the person you knew disappearing, while someone else stands in their body is excruciating..

I am in no way offended or put off, it is fine.

I wasn’t ok last year, and this first half of this year. Having mental health rear it’s ugly head in the middle of an amazing relationship is extremely taxing, emotionally, on the aware person. Grieving over the loss of the person you knew disappearing, while someone else stands in their body is excruciating..
sounds like a very difficult and unpleasant situation
nothing to joke about

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
Speaking of healthy relationships, did I mention that I recently got married? I'm really excited for Melissa as she couldn't be happier. I'm starting to understand why. Many have described me as gritty, tough, a fearless leader, humble, good looking...pretty much a man's man.

Let's all take a moment and congratulate her.

Speaking of healthy relationships, did I mention that I recently got married? I'm really excited for Melissa as she couldn't be happier. I'm starting to understand why. Many have described me as gritty, tough, a fearless leader, humble, good looking...pretty much a man's man.

Let's all take a moment and congratulate her.
I'm not sure there's an obedience course for her to go to...
to rid you of your intolerably ingrained habits. :eek::p:D

Late to the party here... we had a dog named Rocky, half American Eskimo, half Schnauzer and half sewer rat. He was the most amazing, affectionate, playful, loyal, friendly and fun pet we've had. But, I was never able to break him from barking when the doorbell went off, or when a car door slammed outside.. At some point I let it go. He was never aggressive or snippy, just yippy.

Our Rocky was not a fan favorite, my brother had champion dogs that could do calculus problems while serving high tea... People outside our family tended to look askew at Rocky(he wasn't pretty to say the least). The mailman hated him... (never trust someone living in the PNW and wearing a safari hat I say..)

Rocky didn't measure up, but, he was our dog and that made him special. We still have great memories of him and talk about him at family gatherings. It's always fun and heart-warming when the sentence starts with, "Remember that time when Rocky...."

All that to say, I hope this works out for you and your family. Dogs, like beer, are one of the ways that we know God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Finally, we need a pic of the pooch or none of this happened.

When I got my first Lab, I trained her by the book, Wolter's that is. She was incredibly smart, and took to training effortlessly. At that point I convinced myself I was a "dog whisperer", and decided to get another. She on the other hand was difficult, and beyond sit, stay, a come, I felt she was untrainable. Probably me more than her. She became quite destructive for a period. Ultimately, she, though never a good bird dog, was a loving, mindful, and great companion. She's been gone for a dozen years now, and I still well up thinking of her. Good dog or bad, good training or not, don't give up. Eventually you will reap what you sow.

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
Huskies and chihuahuas are both anxious high energy breeds. Get him tired, then he will listen. Prob going to last for the first 6ish Years, give or take.

Find out what motivates him. Food, praise, or toy. Exploit it after discovery.

Watch YouTube dog training vids..

Latest posts