Introduction and should I order a new rod tip or just replace the tip guide?

Richard E

Yeah, that's what I'm planning now. The tip top is in the mail - so I'll get that on as soon as it arrives (being on Whidbey it's a pain to get to any fly shops as I have to drive off the island). If the tip changes the dynamics drastically I'll buy the new section. Or put that money towards another rod :)
I’ve broken several tips over the years; for me it changes the rod action substantially, most noticeably in fast action rods. Think about the characteristics of fast action rods - soft tip relative to the mid section and butt. You broke off the most flexible part of your rod. For my rods, the tip break was big. For example, it made a stiff fast 4 weight Powell into a 6 weight...but it might not affect your rod greatly or you may not notice or care.

Also, Christmas is only a few weeks away, and a new rod would be might nice! Your Redington could be your #2 rod. I think you’ve discovered that if s person fishes much, rod breakage is part of the deal, and it’s nice to have a backup rod to use while a rod is away being repaired.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I have both GLoomis rods and TFO. rods Warranties sure are nice when you do something stupid and break a rod. I got new rods from them for pennies. And all you have to pay up front is the postage mailing the rod back to the maker.

Same with reels.

Welcome aboard mate.
breaking a rod is common, self repair might work OK, might not.
This time of years there are some great close outs on equipment
One of the first places I check is sierratradeingpost.com, amazon.com and others

Truth be told, the Path, while it might be a good rod, is not an expensive one. I think you can buy a new one for less that $150 so why spend an additional $45 to replace a tip? I mean no disrespect to you or Redington but I wouldn't drop another $45 plus shipping to get another tip for a rod that I might "outgrow" in the near future. Heat and remove the tip top and re=install it on the existing rod tip section.

Just a reminder for us -- If your moving more than a few steps with your rod, change your grip to carry it butt down or butt forward , typically butt forward with a finger on the line when going thru brush. Hope this saves your rods and tips.

Just think if you would of went out and bought one when you started this thread you would of been out Fishing instead of waiting on them sending you one.
I did order a replacement guide kit the day I started the thread. Living on Whidbey and commuting to Seattle for work doesn't leave me time to stop by any fly shops as I take the train and my schedule is fairly tight. However, the new guides won't show up until Wednesday. I haven't had time to fish since the 30th, due to family and holiday stuff, so it's okay.

-Steve

Best thing to do is to break your rod down in half when you’re humpin hills and bustin your balls through thick muddy ol’ slippery bush. Mud is the WORST for jackin’ up a sweet new rod. You’ll slip right up and before you know it, you’re face down covered in tears staring at a broken rod and soul you’ll know will never be the same. You don’t want none of that.

Steal some hair ties from some girl and then fasten the two sections together with the ferrules using the hair tie. Boom. It’ll take an act of terrorism to break your fly whipper now.

If you don’t know any girls you can use a rubber band. Or, you can sneak into a girls house when she is sleeping and breathe really softly and crawl on the floor on your belly with downwind scent coverup in full camo, and get one that way, while taking a couple pictures with your flash turned OFF just in case you want to see if there are more hair ties there for later.

It’s pretty easy to break a rod. Be responsible and take the two minutes to break it down yo.

Last edited: