Christmas Cheer

Trapper

ISO brown liquor and wild salmonoids
It’s Christmas time again. I know this because when I was grocery shopping yesterday they were playing Jingle Bell Rock; a song Bobby Helms made popular in 1957 when I was 7 years old.

Christmas, regardless of one’s religious beliefs, has traditionally been a time when people got together to share what they had in common. The love of food, the sound of children’s laughter and awe at the time of year when a magical bearded guy snuck into their house and left all these cool presents under a fir tree decorated with all sorts of stuff.

Yeah, I’ve heard all the “Put Christ back in Christmas”, “You can’t say Happy Holidays” “The war on Christmas”, but the traditions continue.

I’m not Christian, but I enjoy the gathering of friends even though I miss the one’s I’ve lost and can now only hear their laughter in memories.

This year is special for me. Half of my family has been feuding with the other half over religion and politics. For several years the Fundamentalist family members have refused to break bread with the other half because of a gay nephew. Donald Trump’s election added new fuel to the fire.

I’ve been in the middle. I have house rules (My house, my rules) but no one is banned based on their sexual orientation. This year I invited both sides of the family feud. I spent long hours convincing each side to act in the spirit of Christmas and it looks like they will all attend and be civil.

I can only hope this civility will continue for the rest of the year and beyond.

Good for you Trapper. I hope it works out how you want it to be and you don’t end up playing facilitator and referee. That is sad about the treatment of your nephew by his own family members. Will he be there too?

P.S. Do you do most of the cooking?

Trapper

Good for you Trapper. I hope it works out how you want it to be and you don’t end up playing facilitator and referee. That is sad about the treatment of your nephew by his own family members. Will he be there too?

P.S. Do you do most of the cooking?
I haven't gotten a RSVP from him yet. He lives in SoCal so it's a bit of a trip from LA to Montana.

Yes, Jojo. At my house I do virtually all of the cooking. This year I'm doing all hors d'oeuvres; sockeye salmon pate´, baked brie with a raspberry chutney, artichoke dip, deviled eggs, bruschetta.

I thought it would break down barriers if people were mingling around and grazing/drinking instead of seated at a long table where they could only converse with those close to them.

My family has a few gays in it to say the least. I don't talk to the girls that much because it starts WWIII. I can say one word about gay people and my oldest Granddaughter will go off the deep end on this subject. But our families are far apart because of Mileage, Me and the wife are here in Montana with two Granddaughters and two of her older kids. The rest are in Washington.

When mine and her folks were still alive it was grand. But over the years the older folks died off. We tried to keep up with what they did but kids have their own way and it all went to hell. So now we just do Christmas eve and Christmas day is the wife's Birthday.

I kind of hate this time of the year because of the above.
But I'll still say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. To hell with being Political Correct.

Trapper

Jim. I don't care even a little how someone wishes me well during this season. I don't even know what Kwanza is, but I have Jewish friends who are now celebrating Hanukkah I think. I asked my Jewish friend who works in the clothing industry what Jews do on Christmas. He replied, "Eat Chinese food and count our money." I thought that was hilarious.

I once said to him, "Let me see if I have this right. Your ancestors wandered around the desert for 40 friggin' years and finally settled in the only place in the Middle East without oil, and you're the chosen people?" He laughed his ass off.

I haven't gotten a RSVP from him yet. He lives in SoCal so it's a bit of a trip from LA to Montana.

Yes, Jojo. At my house I do virtually all of the cooking. This year I'm doing all hors d'oeuvres; sockeye salmon pate´, baked brie with a raspberry chutney, artichoke dip, deviled eggs, bruschetta.

I thought it would break down barriers if people were mingling around and grazing/drinking instead of seated at a long table where they could only converse with those close to them.
You are such a good guy Trapper to want to bring your family together. Your appetizer menu sounds great! And very mindful of you to do it that way in this situation since it lends to a more casual and comfortable atmosphere where instead you have to worry about seating arrangements. People can move freely. Probably just need to make sure nobody drinks TOO much!

Yeah, if folks have a problem with gay people it is definitely best not to say anything at all. I will never understand why anyone gives a shit about who sleeps with whom. I used to belong to a a womens’ poker” group, made up of all educators, there were 8 of us and one couple was gay. (I put ‘poker’ in quotes because we played many card games besides poker, the only poker game we played was 7 card no peek.)

The older woman in our group, who was in her late 70’s at the time had a problem with it but never said anything. But to me privately she said she just couldn’t accept it. She said, “I just can’t stand to think of how gay people have sex.” And i started laughing and said to her, “WELL, i just can’t stand to think of you and your husband having sex either!”

She laughed too and said it was a point well made.

I will add one more thing about our poker group. (We played regularly for about 20 years.) Of the 8 of us, between the heterosexual poker players there are a total of four divorces and one marriage that’s not so great.

The gay couple have been together for 50 years now. I still see them on a regular basis.

Mom turns 93 next month. Whether 2 or more consenting adults go horizontal, vertical, upside down or sideways...her response to such has always been, "who cares!" I have a 70 year old foster sister with such an alternate persuasion. So what?

Our Christmas will be quiet. Some cooking, visits with friends and family, a few adventures into the local hinterlands. My kids live far away so we don't get together during the holidays. But money is being saved for a trip to see my daughters and my grandkids next summer in Colorado and Montana. Have a great Christmas season everyone!

Latest posts